#1 JimUSNY

JimUSNY

I'm Learning

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts
  • Locationupstate NY on the Hudson River

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

Does it look like maybe a red tailed hawks? now with leaves down I can find the nests..  I dint see red shouldereds in the area of this one, I think too big for coopers.. but there are GH owls around.. guess I will have to hope they use it again next year.. probably 60 feet up in a tree near the river and a creek that comes in..

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,640 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

Looks like a good one. I'm sure something will use that next Spring. I usually watch several raptor nests each year.

#3 JimUSNY

JimUSNY

I'm Learning

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts
  • Locationupstate NY on the Hudson River

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

thanks, I just hope i will be able to see it.. surrounded by lots of trees that will be full of leaves.. i am out there a lot and didnt notice this until leaves came down.. i read you should give red tails lots of room near the nest.. so I don't want to get underneath it if that's what will be using it..

there is a high spot about 50 yards away that's level with the nest, but almost positive leaves will be in the way.. I have a new pair of gh owls near my house..wish I could find their nest, but they seem to have a pretty large territory..

#4 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,640 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

My biggest disappointment is when I find a good nest, then Ravens move in. Sad

#5 PoorMatty

PoorMatty

PoorMatty

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

If Great Horned Owls use this nest, you will be able to tell if you keep an eye on it.  They begin nesting a good while before the leaves come out, usually January-ish here in AL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users