14 replies to this topic

#1 noahcomet

noahcomet

noahcomet

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Doc, Curlybird---I think this is your terrain.

I might visit the Bolsa Chica area soon and am looking for tips on where to see the Burrowing Owls there.  I also hear it's a decent spot for Barn Owls.  Any advice?

Thanks!

#2 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

The Burrowing Owl I found was at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (Irvine, not too far from there) but that was a couple years ago - not sure if it is still there.  Re: Barn Owls, if you know where to find them, let ME know!!!  Sorry I'm not more help - there was a Great Horned Owl at Bolsa Chica, though.  Maybe someone else can offer more help.  Good luck!

#3 noahcomet

noahcomet

noahcomet

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Curlybird!  I've posted to the LA County Birds list and have had a couple responses re: Burrowing Owls, but nothing too specific.

#4 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9149 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

It's sad how scarce Burrowing Owls have become here in Southern California. I only know of a couple of reliable places left to see them down here, and there is only one or two birds at each location. I know the California DFG is working on the problem. They do have a project ongoing at one of my birding spots, with limited results.

#5 noahcomet

noahcomet

noahcomet

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

Creeker, if you've got reliable spots, I'd love to hear abou 'em! 

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9149 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

The spots are down here in San Diego County. Are you coming this far south?

#7 noahcomet

noahcomet

noahcomet

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Ah, no, probably not.  ...Then again, anything's possible---if they're easy enough spots to describe (and they're truly reliable), I might consider making the trek for a life Owl.  (And there's always the Zoo and Sea World to make it worthwhile to others!)  Would you mind sharing the dets?  (Either here, or if you prefer not to broadcast, to my email address, which is just the username at gmail?)

#8 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9149 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

Noah,

Sent you a pm.

#9 guy_incognito

guy_incognito

guy_incognito

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4542 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

I know of a spot that has been 100% reliable for me, usually see around 4 different birds.  If you are in the area it is definitely worth a look.  It is about 60 miles inland from LA.

Just to tempt you...my avatar is one of those owls, as are the following:

#10 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9149 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

Awesome photos Guy! When I was working in raptor rehab, I got to raise one of these owls from a young chick to adulthood. They are the funniest, quirkiest birds I've ever known.

#11 noahcomet

noahcomet

noahcomet

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

Guy, PLEASE PM or email me the info!  60 miles is a trek, but if it's pretty much guaranteed I can probably justify it. Thanks! 

#12 guy_incognito

guy_incognito

guy_incognito

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4542 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

You've got PM!

Trying to think of other places out here to make the trek worthwhile.  There is a nearby spot that has California Gnatcatcher, though not 100% reliable for me.  Redlands also has established populations of Lilac-crowned, Red-crowned, and Red-lored Parrots.  About 30-40 minutes away near Lake Perris there is a spot where 2 Short-eared Owls have been sighted.

Also, Prado Park (on the way from Orange County to here) currently has both a Tropical Kingbird and a Little Gull.

#13 noahcomet

noahcomet

noahcomet

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

This is fantastic---thank you so much!  I have details on one spot that would be quite a bit closer, but if that ends up a dud, I'll definitely let you know when I plan to get out to your area.  Very grateful!

#14 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9149 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:58 AM

I can't see the pic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users