#1 Trent9997

Trent9997

Trent9997

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHavre de Grace, Maryland

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Just curious because I might be going on a trip there next year, and WhatBird says that they are found in Florida.

Thanks.

#2 Trent9997

Trent9997

Trent9997

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHavre de Grace, Maryland

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Anyone?

#3 Walt Barnes

Walt Barnes

Walt Barnes

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSan Pablo, CA. (Eastbay)

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Stokes shows them being year round on the Gulf Coast side. Hope you find at least one.

#4 Daffodil

Daffodil

Daffodil

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

I've never been there, but I've heard that the town of Cape Coral, FL is known for its burrowing owls. It's on the west coast of FL near Fort Myers. Here's an article about it:

http://www.naturesca...2004/hf0204.htm

#5 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

I haven't really heard of any reliable places for Burrowing Owls around here.  They've been sighted at Joe Overstreet Landing and Viera Wetlands in the past, but I've been there many times and have never seen them.

Two more reliable places I know about are Powerline Road in Hernando County (near the intersection with Kettering Rd) and at a few recreational parks in Palm Beach and Broward county (I got mine down there at Brian Piccolo Park, along with Monk Parakeets).  Neither are very close to Orlando, though.

You may want to check ebird.org when you arrive to see where they've been spotted recently.  You might get lucky...

#6 birdbrain22

birdbrain22

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,396 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Daffodil:

I've never been there, but I've heard that the town of Cape Coral, FL is known for its burrowing owls. It's on the west coast of FL near Fort Myers. Here's an article about it:

http://www.naturesca...2004/hf0204.htm

I have been to Cape Coral a few times as we usually vacation in nearby Captiva... and this is the a place where you are GAURANTEED to see these little buggers. Drive through any neighborhood and you are sure to see them on some of the locals front lawns, in vacant lots, etc. We must have found 20 or so different locations in 1 neighborhood alone as well as one of the local parks. Just look for the wood T posts and some unmowed grass areas. Great looks from a few feet away and from the car.

Only problem is that it is not at all close to Orlando...at about 3-31/2 hour drive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users