6 replies to this topic

#1 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

Love Ibird.  Is there any type of life list feature.  Fairly sure there isn't. Or maybe I'm blind to it?

Thanks

#2 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

EyesOnTheSky:

Love Ibird.  Is there any type of life list feature.  Fairly sure there isn't. Or maybe I'm blind to it?

Thanks

Anyone?

#3 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

I'm stunned by how active this forum is.

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 5063 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

EyesOnTheSky:
I'm stunned by how active this forum is.

I assume that this is a system question.

I will forward this to the system people.

Thanks

Bigfoot

#5 Janeybug

Janeybug

Janeybug

• Administrators
  • 1407 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

There is a favorites list.  You can click on the star and create a list.  You can also use the notes feature to create a list.

#6 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

So there is no type of checklist you can check off birds that you've seen and then organize them into year/life or county lists? 

I'd rather use the favorite bird feature for birds i'm looking for this year.

Guess I'll stick with eBird.

#7 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

eBird is one way to keep a lifelist, but unfortunately I haven't found it very convenient. Because of the way I go birding most of the time--multiple locations spanning a wide area, it's a bit inconvenient to add a new trip list for every individual species sighting. On one trip last year, my birding party spotted a "rare raptor" on the way out to our final destination, so I reported it at the point that we saw it (*had to create a separate list from my trip list). Then I had someone from eBird contact me, and ask for proof since it was "rare" for the area reported. But I didn't get the photo, my buddy did. I sent an excellent picture of another sighting I had about 15 miles away from 2 days before and said "it was one of these" (same age and species)... but it wasn't good enough. By the time it was all said and done, it took a week to have the sighting accepted. I haven't used eBird for reporting sightings since....

Changing back to the original topic, iBird for the iphone or android is a great program- but I wouldn't think of that one first for keeping a lifelist. My mentor uses Birder's Diary and that seems to work very well, especially because he likes to do state and even county listing. For me, the "easiest" way to keep a lifelist was in a MS Word document.

However, in my opinion, the absolute best and cheapest way to keep a lifelist is something that I created myself. I basically took the current ABA list (available on their website: http://www.aba.org/checklist/) and turned it into an MS Excel file. What I like about this one (besides that it is impossible to "double-list") is that I have it set up with formulas. It keeps track of the number of ticks you have in each category, as well as automatically keeping track of your total lifelist number.
"I'm not a Colonel"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users