#1 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

My bird bucket list includes several species. Ross's Gull, Steller's Eider, Harlequin Duck, Elf Owl, Green Violetear, Ivory-billed Woodpecker ;), Green Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Blackburnian Warbler,Western Tanager, Black-chinned Sparrow, Pyrrhuloxia, Eastern Meadowlark, and Great-tailed Grackle.

If I get the Pygmy Nuthatch on my list I will have all the nuthatches native to North America. I did have one other bird on that list, but I got it in California. It was the Heerman's Gull. What is your bird bucket list?       

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

When you move to San Diego, I know where you can get Black-chinned Sparrow, Pygmy Nuthatch, and Western Tanager, all in the same place. You can get Great-tailed Grackle nearby (about a half mile away) at the nearby lake. Personally, I'd really like to see Spotted Owl. It's just a matter of time.......

#3 horseface

horseface

Horseface

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Pyrrhuloxia for the name alone. 

Also want the Green Jay, when I was little I used to goad the other kids in school into arguments over its existence. 

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and Swallow-tailed Kite for obvious reasons

More owls, any owls will do. Only seen one owl in my life. 

Northern Shoveler. I'm sure I'll see one of these one day I just haven't bothered to go look for one yet.

Bobolink for the name, also a cool-looking bird. 

Wild Turkey

Either one of the Crossbills

Either Redpoll

Razorbill, again for the name.

Northern Fulmar, for the nose.

Either Bittern

Reddish Egret, none of that white morph crap though

Snow Bunting

Probably a lot more too but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  

Oh, and Roseate Spoonbill.  

#4 Possumbird55

Possumbird55

Possumbird55

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Oh my! There are so many I'd like to see...but here goes...

Any hummingbird other than a Ruby-throated

I've only seen the Barred Owl so I would love to see any owl other than the Barred

There are many more I'd love to see but can't think of them right now :)

#5 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Possumbird55:

Me too !  Big Smile

#6 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hey creeker could you let me now what that area is called? You could post it here or in my other thread "good birding in Escondido".

#7 bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Cedar Waxwing, Kingfisher, American Kestrel, indigo bundting, brown creeper, Owl of any kind,& an  Eagle. These would all have to be seen by me in the wild, not in a zoo. I know most of these are supposedly easy to find around here but not for me apparently!

#8 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I can't seem to find a American Kestrel anywhere. So you aren't alone.   

#9 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

JimBob:

LOL! Again, you will be tired of them within a week here. They are literally everywhere here.

#10 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

JimBob, check your pm.

#11 NatureLady

NatureLady

NatureLady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

JimBob:
Totally agree with Creeker too Once we saw a American Kestrel which was down in FL, now we see them everywhere! As me n hubby are truck drivers we are all over the country and they are everywhere it seems almost see them as much as red-tailed hawks! 

As for a Bucket List~~ Crested Caracara, CA Condor, any crossbill, Black-backed Gull(just cuz its the largest gull lol) ,  EURASIAN TREE SPARROW!!!!

#12 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

JimBob:
  Ivory-billed Woodpecker

If were you, I'd put it on the post-bucket list. You'll have your better chance of seeing one there Smile

#13 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3135 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

JimBob:

My bird bucket list includes several species. Ross's Gull, Steller's Eider, Harlequin Duck, Elf Owl, Green Violetear, Ivory-billed Woodpecker ;), Green Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Blackburnian Warbler,Western Tanager, Black-chinned Sparrow, Pyrrhuloxia, Eastern Meadowlark, and Great-tailed Grackle.

If I get the Pygmy Nuthatch on my list I will have all the nuthatches native to North America. I did have one other bird on that list, but I got it in California. It was the Heerman's Gull. What is your bird bucket list?       

If you come down we can take care of the Green Violet-Ear and the Great-Tailed Grackles - I've seen both; in fact, I see GTG by the dozens every day! I think you should add Violet Sabrewing to your list, and we can get that one here too.

Helen

#14 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Possumbird55:

Oh my! There are so many I'd like to see...but here goes...

I can help you there, too!  Magnificents and White-Eareds visit my feeders every day, and we can get at least 10 others with a little effort.

#15 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

I'm too new to have a bucket list yet, so I guess I'll be around for a while LOL!

#16 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

NatureLady:

As for a Bucket List~~ Crested Caracara, CA Condor, any crossbill, Black-backed Gull(just cuz its the largest gull lol) ,  EURASIAN TREE SPARROW!!!!

Come to my place! Or I will send them to you in a box! I am almost sick of them. I think I saw an American Kestrel, but it was a drive by on the highway so it was to hard to tell.   

#17 NatureLady

NatureLady

NatureLady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

Jimbob you must be referring to the Eurasian Tree Sparrows Why don't you like them? Are they as hated as much as some people hate the House Sparrow?  

#18 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Well, I like them, but they are so common. I have seen 10 on my feeder at once. They were literally perching on top of each other. I don't think that they are hated, but I kinda get tired of them sometimes. I was reading something about Eurasian Tree Sparrow, and it said that most St. Louis natives are proud to say that they have seen a Eurasian Tree Sparrow. I am trying to get a good picture of one so I think that the sending of them to you might be delayed.   

#19 NatureLady

NatureLady

NatureLady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

JimBob~We were on the IL side of St Louis at a park looking for ETS last month but didn't see any :( but we will see them sometime, hopefully this year since we are doing our own BIG YEAR!! 

#20 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

I was looking at your blog NatureLady, and I saw that you went to Macon, GA. I was born there! I only lived there for two years so I don't remember anything about it. But that is so cool. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users