8 replies to this topic

#1 Elf

Elf

Elf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

The San Jose Mercury reports that this is Sandhill Crane season (February) out in central California. It suggests three locations to see them: Cosumnes River Preserve (south of Sacramento off I-5), Staten Island Road, and Isenberg Crane Reserve. I went to Cosumnes this last weekend. Lots of cranes if you have really good binoculars--they are there but staying a good long way away from people and cars. For example, I could see them off Desmond Road (north of the preserve proper) during the afternoon. Around sunset and just after, they swooped in by groups small and large to the ponds directly across from the visitor's center, making their amazing rattling calls as they came in. Mostly silhouettes, but gorgeous against the sunset. I didn't have much time to spend there; a couple of people walking the paths behind the visitor's center said they saw some closer during the day.

And, if you were lucky, they flew in right overhead. If you were luckier (not me), you'd have your camera on the right settings to catch them as they whipped past. 

Photo attached.

Attached Files

#2 Elf

Elf

Elf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Another photo, cranes overhead.

Attached Files

#3 Bill1969

Bill1969

Bill1969

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

You can actually see them much closer in  Woodbridge Rd, Lodi, CA

They come close to the road sometimes..

Attached Files

#4 Doug Herr

Doug Herr

Doug Herr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSacramento County

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Bill1969:

You can actually see them much closer in  Woodbridge Rd, Lodi, CA

They come close to the road sometimes..

Seconded

Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane

#5 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Another good area is the San Joaquin River NWR.  I saw about 50 there a couple of weeks ago.  At a glance, you can also see them on the west side of I-5 at Elk Grove, but of course no stopping!

Another great area (but really out there) is both Tule Lake and the Modoc NWR.  At the Modoc NWR I could get within a few feet of them!

#6 Desertthorn

Desertthorn

Desertthorn

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Cibola NWR which technically is in Calif is a wonderful place to see cranes. They were right next to the car

#7 guy_incognito

guy_incognito

guy_incognito

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4570 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

I am jealous. In So Cal it seems about the only place to see them is at Salton Sea, but generally from a considerable distance. I've seen them twice now, both times at the south end of the sea at Unit 1 along Vendel Rd.

Latest lifers: Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, 295 in Costa Rica!, Black Scoter, Sinaloa Wren, Nutting's Flycatcher, Virginia's Warbler, Black-headed Gull, Red-throated Pipit

Trip reports: Costa Rica 3/2014, Texas 12/2013, Central CA 8/2013, Arizona 6/2013, Midwest 5/2013, Hawaii 2/2013, Florida 9-10/2012, Monterey 8/2012, Salton Sea 7/2012, SE AZ 6/2012, Chicago 5/2012, Arizona 3/12, Arizona 12/11, Chicago 9/2011, Monterey 8/11, Arizona 12/10

#8 ginspin16

ginspin16

ginspin16

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

i saw mine at salton sea! i thought there were going to be hundreds, but these were the only ones there that day

Posted Image

ginger

my flickr
world list 317, ABA list 314.  

code 4 lifer... blue-footed booby 

code 3 lifers...white wagtail, red-necked stint, flesh-footed shearwater, least storm-petrel, red-billed tropicbird, brown booby, ruff

#9 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3067 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Another good area is the San Joaquin River NWR. I saw about 50 there a couple of weeks ago. At a glance, you can also see them on the west side of I-5 at Elk Grove, but of course no stopping!
Another great area (but really out there) is both Tule Lake and the Modoc NWR. At the Modoc NWR I could get within a few feet of them!

Two other good spots for cranes are Merced NWR and the viewing platform on Beckwith Rd. (part of the San Joaquin River NWR west of Modest). The Pelican Nature Trail off of River Rd., south of Hwy 132, is another good spot, although there are not usually as many cranes there as the other locations mentioned. Of course, the've all left the Modesto area so anyone wanting to go look for them at the platform will have to wait until they come back in the fall.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Common Loon: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/21/14

Blue-winged Teal, Hooded Merganser, Bald Eagle, Semipalmated Plover, Vaux's Swift: San Joaquin River NWR, Modesto, CA, 4/20/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users