5 replies to this topic

#1 FourBlueStars

FourBlueStars

FourBlueStars

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hello! I've run into a dilemma and am not sure what to do. I have a patio set on my back deck that I keep covered in the winter. Lately I noticed a Carolina Wren on my deck with twigs. His visits have been more frequent the past week, so I took a peek under the patio set to see what was going on. Initially I didn't see anything, but eventually I discovered he had started building a nest in one of the corners of the actual cover. I've attached a picture so you can see. If it were on the actual patio set, I could possibly work around it, but due to the fact that is is on the cover, there is no way I can remove the entire cover without disturbing the nest. We still have a good 2-3 months before we start using the table a little bit. I can easily uncover the other end without disturbing the nest, but not sure if that is the right thing to do (leaving it intact).

Help!!!

Attached Files

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Two months from now those wrens will have fledged and left the nest. They should be long gone before you need the table. If you needed to use it in the meantime, uncovering the other end should be fine. Your other option would be to take it down now, before they lay eggs. Then they will just rebuild somewhere else.

#3 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11267 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

I agree with creeker. If you take it down now it wont be a problem. I have seen the males make up to four nests. The female then picks the nest that she like the best, and then adds moss, feathers, and other things. I have had experience with them nesting in undesirable locations before. They nested in a straw hat in our garage, and a cardboard box that I was using for a pellet gun target. I retired it soon after; I did not want to hit the nest. And yes they did use it for eggs, and successfully raised young. They also succeeded in the hat.  

#4 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9179 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

JimBob:
I have had experience with them nesting in undesirable locations before. They nested in a straw hat in our garage, and a cardboard box that I was using for a pellet gun target. I retired it soon after; I did not want to hit the nest.   

I can't think of a worse location than that box!

#5 FourBlueStars

FourBlueStars

FourBlueStars

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Thanks, guys! I think I will just leave it.

#6 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11267 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

creeker:

JimBob:
I have had experience with them nesting in undesirable locations before. They nested in a straw hat in our garage, and a cardboard box that I was using for a pellet gun target. I retired it soon after; I did not want to hit the nest.   

I can't think of a worse location than that box!

I know! I noticed the male singing a lot around it. I then saw him putting sticks in it. Then I saw that there was two wrens. That is when I stopped shooting at it. I was not shooting at it right then. I sure hope that they choose a better location this year. Hopefully in my bird house. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users