30 replies to this topic

#1 pilot20

pilot20

pilot20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hey! Just a couple quick questions. More than one answer is OK!

Of all the birds in the world, what one do you want to see the most? Birds that you have already seen count too!

Of all your bird sightings, which one do you think was the most amazing? Details!

Do you have a favorite bird?

Elijah

#2 pilot20

pilot20

pilot20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

The two birds I want to see most are the Atlantic or Tufted Puffin (Either one would be great!) and a male Pyrrhuloxia. I will be permanently moving to just outside the Pyrrhuloxia''s year-round range this year, and I hope to see one!

My favorite bird sighting was of a Great Blue Heron in the pond 130 feet from my house. I managed to get about 20 feet away and watch it!

I love seeing the Brown-Headed Nuthatch work, but I also love the Downy Woodpeckers that live in the woods behing my house.

#3 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • LocationSouth-central Illinois

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Most wanted? I am mainly working on my Illinois list so my top10 list would be any of these seen in my home state.

Anhinga

Swainson's Warbler

Little Gull

Gyrfalcon

Prairie Falcon

Golden Eagle

Long-tailed Jaeger

Whimbrel

Piping Plover and

Burrowing Owl

As for my most amazing sighting I would have to say it was watching a Red Phalarope(Super rare inland) and a Purple Sandpiper(First record for downstate Illinois) forage on the same mudflat. Two birds that should have been hundreds of miles from where they were within 100 yards of each other.

#4 Doug Herr

Doug Herr

Doug Herr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationSacramento County

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

pilot20:

Of all the birds in the world, what one do you want to see the most? Birds that you have already seen count too!

Pretty much anything in Alaska.  It means I'd have to visit Alaska to see them Smile  3 Ptarmigan species, both redpolls, Bohemian Waxwing, Goshawk, Gyrfalcon, Arctic Warbler, Wheatear ...

pilot20:

Of all your bird sightings, which one do you think was the most amazing? Details!

The Gyrfalcon that hopped up to within 6' of me.  The lens had a minimum focus distance of 11' and there was a cliff somewhere behind me.

#5 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11182 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have several. I think that I would like to see the Steller's Eider the most.

Out of the ones I have seen, it would be the Red-breasted Nuthatch. 

#6 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1524 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

[Of all the birds in the world, what one do you want to see the most?]  Whichever bird is being reported near me that I haven't seen - makes me itchy to get out there and find it. Right now it's Sandhill Cranes, a few Gulls I haven't seen, Snow Geese, and an elusive Eurasian Wigeon.

[Of all your bird sightings, which one do you think was the most amazing?] 1000s of Tundra Swans last Sunday at Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. It was special because these birds are always there in huge numbers during migration, but they are generally on the far ends of the Refuge and only watchable with good scopes. Now they are out in the middle of the auto tour loop easily viewable & hearable.

[Do you have a favorite bird?] My most recent lifer, whichever it is. So, this week it's the lowly Herring Gull, who has spurred me to further Gull Study. Hoping for Turkeys and Grouse tomorrow on a field trip. I guess, though, my favorite bird, which is really plural, are the two nearly-pet Western Scrub-Jays who hang out in our yard and our windowsills; they are friendly, beautiful, and very funny.

#7 natureboy

natureboy

natureboy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, La

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

i would want to see a gyrfalcon hunting something huge like geese.

most amazing bird experiences - 2:  tree swallow tornado, est 5000000 birds going down to roost in an enormous and loud vortex.

perigrine falcon making a hunting pass over a floodplain with thousands of gulls, terns, ducks, shorebirds, waders, pelicans, swallows, and ibis.  one bird sent ~ 20,000 others into a frantic and noisy panicked fit.  the perigrine made a few dives into a flock of barn and NRW swallows.  twice he caught one and ate them in mid air.  i love massive events in nature where your eyes and ears get overloaded.

edit:  forgot the favorite.  my favorite sp of bird is the shrike.  i've seen them take mice and that impresses me for a bird so small

#8 pilot20

pilot20

pilot20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Wow, both of those stories sound amazing!! When I was, like, 7 years old I loved it when my Dad would slam on the horn and see how many crows we could get to fly away! But 5,000,000?! WOW! Do you know if the video is on YouTube, or something like that?

#9 natureboy

natureboy

natureboy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, La

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

i think i saw some horrible footage on youtube once, but it wasn't the same roost i saw.  supposedly, the one we saw was reoccurring but i haven't heard if anyone i know had been back and i have not been back since.  it was on private land and i was with someone who had access. 

#10 Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

Vin the Grine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • LocationPA / NJ

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

My dream bird is probably Gyrfalcon, but I keep a "Wanted List" that is for me, now mostly pelagics of the Northeast that I still need and a few nemesis birds. Other birds I would love to get are Elf Owl, Great Gray Owl, Black-throated & Golden-crowned Sparrows.

I've got a bunch of favorite birds that I've seen such as Peregrine Falcon (naturally), Atlantic Puffin, Swallow-tailed Kite, Mangrove Cuckoo...my favorite sparrow is Vesper. My favorite warblers are Bay-breasted and Cerulean. :)

#11 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

I think I'd most like to photograph the Resplendent Quetzel.  I've seen them hiking the jungles, but never carried a good camera.

#12 Vibhandaka

Vibhandaka

Vibhandaka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

I am fairly new to birdwatching, so my dream bird at the moment is an owl. Any type of owl!!! I just to want to get a pic of one. :)

My best bird watching experience so far, was probably the Pileated Woodpecker. We could hear it for a long time before we actually saw it, now I know why it's a favorite bird call of many people. When I would look through my birds of Oklahoma bird, that was one that I thought "yeah, right, I'll never see that", but I am always suprised at how much you can see when you're actually looking.

#13 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

I wish I could see an Indian Bustard again.  When I saw him the first time I was not yet a birder and didn't appreciate him as much as I would now.  I was walking down a path in Pakistan and there he was, unafraid and quite striking.  I was able to get within 15 feet before he simply walked away.  He was so distinctive that I wrote home about him to my husband.  I managed to write down extremely detailed descriptions of him and was able to recently ID him.  According to wikipedia, there might be less than 250 left in the world!

I used to see Roadrunners as a kid, but I haven't seen any in a long time.  Other than that, a new bird for me that I'd love to see would be a Steller's Sea Eagle or male Painted Bunting.

My favorite is the tiny Bushtit and their not so tiny attitudes!  I can never be in a bad mood while watching them.

#14 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5320 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

This changes for me from time to time, but right now it would be a Harpy Eagle.  I saw one in captivity once, but I'd love to see it in the wild.

Imagine an Eagle powerful enough to pluck a monkey out of a tree and carry it off!

#15 Ladybird52

Ladybird52

Ladybird52

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast of Florida

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

up until last December I would have said White pelican but i got to see one in California when I visited. So now I will say a Scarlet Ibis or Greater Flamingo....

#16 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

The bird that I most want to see is the Bearded Vulture (Lammergeier) - even better would be to see one dropping bones on rocky outcroppings as they do in order to eat. Any species of Albatross, any species of Old World Vulture, loads of alcids, like Dovekie, and many others are also up there! Heh, I think I need to start saving up for airfare. Hmm

#17 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hmmm..

Top ten ABA lifers I'd like to get (in no particular order, subject to change):

Himalayan Snowcock

Greater Prairie-Chicken

Northern Goshawk

Gyrfalcon

Pileated Woodpecker

Green Jay

Painted Bunting

Boreal Chickadee

Golden-winged warbler

Pileated Woodpecker

#18 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

Pop over here for the afternoon Colo, and we'll get you BOTH your Pileated WP.  :)

#19 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9156 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:11 AM

Mine is Spotted Owl. I will get it someday soon............

#20 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11182 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

I thought I would say the ones that I want to see, that I would have to leave the country for. 

Southern Screamer, any type of Bustard (yes that is a bird!), Crowned Plover, any type of Pratincoles, Hoatzin, Rufous-tailed Jacamar, Rifleman, Indian Pitta, Andean Cock-of-the-rock, Lulu's Tody-tyrant, Superb Lyrebird, any type of Fantail, Short-tailed Green Magpie, Asian Fairy-bluebird, Velvet-fronted Nuthatch, Wallcreeper, Superb Starling, and last but not least a European Robin. 

I would have to do a LOT of traveling to get all those. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users