4 replies to this topic

#1 PONYRCR

PONYRCR

PONYRCR

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

I am in the pre-planning stages for a potential trip to Long Island in June.  This will be a horse racing trip with one day devoted to birding.  I've been to Long Island in the past (2008).  On that trip I birded Connetquot State Park, Bayard Cutting Arboretun, Jones Beach (briefly), and Hecksher State Park (briefly).  I started at the crack of dawn and went until it got dark.  I was a long day of birding.

I'd like to bird some new places on this trip.   I'll be staying in Islandia so places around there are best.  I'm thinking I'll do Connetquot again.  I really liked that spot and it is only a few minutes from my hotel.  I'm mostly interested in passerines, the eastern specialties.  Not so much interested in water/shore birds.  

Any suggestions??....

#2 Grandpa577

Grandpa577

Grandpa577

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationNassau, Long Island, NY

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

I suggest you go to E-Bird and check out some of the hotspots on Long Island.  Particularly, since you will be in Suffolk County you might want to look at Caumsett and Sunken Meadow State Parks on the North Shore.  You can also search on Ebird for the types of birds you will be looking for in Suffolk/Nassau County and pick your site accordingly.

In addition, I suggest going to http://www.northeast...NYSbirdsWELCOME, where I believe you can find out how to write an email to their email list and pose your request there  (e.g., Planning a trip to Long Island in June . . .)  I would suspect someone knowledgeable with the types of birds you seek and your intended location will respond to you.

#3 PONYRCR

PONYRCR

PONYRCR

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

OK the trip is a go. I'll be heading to New York next week. I've got one day to bird Long Island. I've got a very full day of birding planned.

Lakeland Park
Wertheim NWR
Heckscher State Park
South Shore Nature Center
Connetquot River State Park

Hopefully I can pick up a few lifers, and get some photos of the birds I missed out on photographing previously.
Resident Horse Racing nut

#4 Grandpa577

Grandpa577

Grandpa577

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationNassau, Long Island, NY

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

OK the trip is a go. I'll be heading to New York next week. I've got one day to bird Long Island. I've got a very full day of birding planned.

Lakeland Park
Wertheim NWR
Heckscher State Park
South Shore Nature Center
Connetquot River State Park

Hopefully I can pick up a few lifers, and get some photos of the birds I missed out on photographing previously.

At Connetquot, there is a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest in the trees in the median of the lower parking lot. A Yellow-throated Warbler has been seen around the fish hatchery and prepare yourself for for deer ticks.

#5 PONYRCR

PONYRCR

PONYRCR

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yellow-thraoted Warbler is one I need a picture of. I'm hoping for Whip-poor-wil at Connetquot.

I remember the deer tick warnings from 2008. I have bug repellent clothes from Buzz Off http://www.muckboots...nts_p/pt300.htm and Exofficio http://www.exofficio...saway-ziwa-pant so hopefully I'll be okay
Resident Horse Racing nut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users