#2 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Some birds will - the fruit-eaters certainly.  The Yellow-billed Magpies love any kind of common fruit, banana included.

Some of the really big Eagles like bananas - but they prefer you insert them into a monkey and shake vigorously first.  Wink

#3 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Alright. Would starling? If so, I don't think I will put any out.

#4 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

I don't have an answer for that one - maybe someone else does.  Fortunately they haven't found me yet.

I'm of the general opinion that Starlings will strip the paint off the side of a barn, given half a chance...

#5 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

the magpies crows and ravens here eat almost any food scraps including the over ripe bananas. the starlings here come during the winter and i don't put fruit out in the freezing temps.

in the spring and summer i put out fruit pieces on a platforn dish of sliced bananas and watermelon and cantalope and grapes and cherrys according to what is on sale. the tanagers and orioles and grosbeaks for some reason  don't like plums but eat the other fruits.  the grosbeaks even like the dried banana and apple chips from the dehydrater. even the house finches peck at the fruit..

#6 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

here is a western tanager from last sumer eating his fruit with orange juice on it

#7 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

If I put bananas out, I would probably have 200 Red-crowned Parrots on my balcony! As for Starlings eating bananas, I'm sure they would. I used to keep Hill Mynas, which are pretty much glorified Starlings, and they loved bananas. Plus, Starlings are not known for their discriminatory tastes.

#8 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Great-tailed Grackles eat bananas too.

#9 Photgog

Photgog

Photgog

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

When I was in South America (Ecuador) we had a Scarlet Macaw that I brought back from the jungle.   This bird was not a pet store bird and loved fruit.

Bananas were great for him... trouble was that he would crush the banana and devour... leaving much on his beak... then shake his head and shower the entire room with banana debris .

His favorite was (were?)... Grapes.   He would squawk loudly when he saw a grape bunch, grab one and gently tilt his head back, squeeze the juice into his throat.

This bird was a fruit eater... wild bird.

Fraser

#10 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thinking back to my retail and wholesale pet bird days, I can't remember any hookbills that didn't like bananas and grapes.

#11 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Orioles and Tanagers eat bananas right off the plants here. (Well, not at my house - it's way too cold for bananas to grow here - but at lower elevations where they have banana plants!)

Helen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users