#1 Sinuous

Sinuous

Sinuous

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Something about it is just so... soothing? I'm not sure, but there's just something.

Anyways, there's this tree about 50 yards away from my bedroom window. Often during quiet nights, the northern mockingbird starts singing and calling in the tree. I find it somewhat peaceful.

I just figured out it was a mockingbird more recently, as I've become more familiar with the sound. Does anyone else find this particular sound nice?

#2 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5939 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

When I was a kid growing up on the farm in N Fla., I used to go to sleep to the sound of a Mockingbird singing on a summer night. I always loved the sounds, and really miss hearing them like I did then. 

#3 Sinuous

Sinuous

Sinuous

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Bird Brain:

When I was a kid growing up on the farm in N Fla., I used to go to sleep to the sound of a Mockingbird singing on a summer night. I always loved the sounds, and really miss hearing them like I did then. 

That must bring back memories, huh? Sad

I hope the mockingbirds never leave. They're such a joy to have around.

#4 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11345 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

I love their calls, just because they have such amazing skills. I have heard "my" Northern Mockingbird make over 30 different sounds. About 10 of which are another birds call. Blue Jays, Northern Flickers, Tufted Titmice, Carolina Wrens, and Killdeer are the most often mimicked. 

#5 Sinuous

Sinuous

Sinuous

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

JimBob:
I love their calls, just because they have such amazing skills. I have heard "my" Northern Mockingbird make over 30 different sounds. About 10 of which are another birds call. Blue Jays, Northern Flickers, Tufted Titmice, Carolina Wrens, and Killdeer are the most often mimicked. 

...and car alarms! Stick out tongue

Seriously, no matter what, I *never* get tired of their calls. Smile 

#6 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

And my alarm clock.  And the sound of a garage door opener....

The Northern Mockingbird may be the only bird that continues to learn new "songs" its entire life.  As much as I enjoy them - they use those songs to demonstrate to a mate how viable they are.  Scientists are unclear if having  a large repertoire is important because it demonstrates that they're older and therefore more likely to produce good offspring and have good access to territory and food - or if having a good memory is selected itself (or something else entirely!).  Anyway - they want to demonstrate how viable they are as mating material - so during the summer, some horny mockingbird will sit outside my window at 3am and sing every song it knows.  Repeatedly.  At the top of its wee little lungs. [sigh]  And that, not too infrequently, includes the sound of my alarm clock.  And any neighboring alarm clocks. 

Add to the imitation of other birds the White-tailed Kite and the Red-shouldered Hawk.  Some of these Mockingbirds are so good at it that I grab my camera and run out the door every freakin' time!

#7 Sinuous

Sinuous

Sinuous

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

cabirds:

And my alarm clock.  And the sound of a garage door opener....

The Northern Mockingbird may be the only bird that continues to learn new "songs" its entire life.  As much as I enjoy them - they use those songs to demonstrate to a mate how viable they are.  Scientists are unclear if having  a large repertoire is important because it demonstrates that they're older and therefore more likely to produce good offspring and have good access to territory and food - or if having a good memory is selected itself (or something else entirely!).  Anyway - they want to demonstrate how viable they are as mating material - so during the summer, some horny mockingbird will sit outside my window at 3am and sing every song it knows.  Repeatedly.  At the top of its wee little lungs. [sigh]  And that, not too infrequently, includes the sound of my alarm clock.  And any neighboring alarm clocks. 

Add to the imitation of other birds the White-tailed Kite and the Red-shouldered Hawk.  Some of these Mockingbirds are so good at it that I grab my camera and run out the door every freakin' time!

You really summed that up well! Smile

#8 Vibhandaka

Vibhandaka

Vibhandaka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

I love to sit outside on a summer evening and listen to the mockingbirds, they are so funny! I like to make sounds and see if they will imitate me. They almost always imitate my crying baby sound.

#9 Sinuous

Sinuous

Sinuous

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Vibhandaka:

I love to sit outside on a summer evening and listen to the mockingbirds, they are so funny! I like to make sounds and see if they will imitate me. They almost always imitate my crying baby sound.

Had a similar experience.

I was out near the garage and decided to make a loud call and it almost instantly copied it. Stick out tongue

#10 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

How do we know they're not posting here as us when we're at work?!?!?

#11 Sinuous

Sinuous

Sinuous

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

cabirds:

How do we know they're not posting here as us when we're at work?!?!?

Surprise

#12 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7498 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

I was sitting outside the other day and heard a Killdeer calling as it flew over. I called out "Killdeer!", but just as I looked up, it turned into a Carolina wren. It was a mockingbird at the top of a tree. I had a friend who had a litter of Jack Russell puppies. A starling had learned the cry of the pups, and the poor mother dog kept trying to climb the tree, very upset because one of her pups was sitting at the top of it!

#13 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9193 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

I remember many times as I was growing up, being awakened at at midnight by a Northern Mockingbird going through it's repertoire. I also remember one mockingbird that kept harrassing a Barn Owl I was rehabbing. Every time I brought the owl out in the field to work on his flying, this one mocker would dive bomb and otherwise pester him. Mockingbirds are pretty fearless.
Creationist Birder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users