#1 Rudi Nuissl

Rudi Nuissl

nuissrf

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationBroomfield, CO

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

For those times I can't go birding, I enjoy a little online birding.  One of my favorite links is the cam at the Sabal Palm Sanctuary in Brownsville, TX:

I'd be interested to see what good bird cam links others might have (didn't see a thread on this when I searched).

#2 Rudi Nuissl

Rudi Nuissl

nuissrf

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationBroomfield, CO

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Here's one of an active Bald Eagle nest in Decorah, IA:

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

#3 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I checked out the first link. Right now there is a coon eating the bird seed! 

#4 birdbrain22

birdbrain22

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I think it was these that I watched a few years back, before my computer crashed. Never did watch them after that though. I had another in either Belize or Coasta Rica too, but cant seem to locate that one.

http://www.worldlandtrust.org/webcams

#5 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Really like the first one! Really cool to see the birds that go to someone else's feeders. So far all I have seen would be lifers!

#6 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

JimBob:
Really like the first one! Really cool to see the birds that go to someone else's feeders. So far all I have seen would be lifers!

Yeah, my kids love this one. We've seen three lifers so far: Green Jay, Golden Fronted Woodpecker, and a Buff Bellied Hummingbird. Really fun!  

#7 birdbrain22

birdbrain22

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

I will say I remeber the cams that I linked to be much much clearer back when I used to watch them. I have looked a few times today and they are not clear at all.

#8 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

If you all want to see the best Barn Owl box site ever, check this out:

http://kangarobin.blogspot.com/

The clarity is second to none (for barn owl sites) and the babies are just starting to hatch now!!!!

That's where I have been hanging out recently.

#9 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSouth-central Illinois

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the links guys!

Can someone tell me what kind of Doves those are at the Rio Grande feeder right now? White-tipped?

edit- Nevermind, they are definitely White-tipped. Saw the rufous in the underwing. The way the walked up to the feeders out of the woods fits White-tipped also.

#10 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Wow, very cute Barn Owls! When I looked the mom had a mouse. Yummy!

#11 birdbrain22

birdbrain22

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,229 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

illin:

Thanks for the links guys!

Can someone tell me what kind of Doves those are at the Rio Grande feeder right now? White-tipped?

edit- Nevermind, they are definitely White-tipped. Saw the rufous in the underwing. The way the walked up to the feeders out of the woods fits White-tipped also.

Yes... they have been on there every time I have checked it.

#12 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yep, those White-tipped Doves are on the feeder a lot. When ever I check at night, there is at least on coon. Last night there was two.

#13 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Yeah me and my daughter had a bet whether the coons would show back up last night and sure enough they did. If you notice they take the tube feeder and hummingbird feeder down before dusk. I would imagine that is because of some coon mischief.

The green jays are really cool. Makes me want to drive down there just to see them. I haven't seen a chacalaca on the cam yet.

#14 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

illin:

I haven't seen a chacalaca on the cam yet. 

When they come, they come in flocks! I have this link open almost all day. (I am not watching it all day, though) The two times I saw them there was 5-7. The time there was seven, they all were on the feeders at the same time!

I have seen White-tipped Doves, Golden-fronted Woodpeckers, Green Jays, Black-crested Titmice, Olive Sparrow, Plain Chachalacas, Northern Cardinals, Buff-bellied Hummingbirds, Bumblebees, Cottontails, and Raccoons.  

#15 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Last night there were three raccoons, and two of them had a tussle on the feeding platform. We've seen the doves, woodpeckers, jays, titmice, cardinals, hummingbirds, the sparrow once, and a long billed thrasher once.

The kids are also loving that owl cam, and are anxiously waiting for that last egg to hatch, which should be sometime today! 

#16 lonestranger

lonestranger

lonestranger

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationActon, Ontario

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've been checking in on a few nest cams, but I have only really been following one closely, well, closer than the others. The Norfolk Botanical Gardens have a Bald Eagle nest that has been providing me with most of my online entertainment lately. The resident male eagle lost his mate to a plane collision last year and the young females in the area have been fighting to fill her place this year. The fourth female of the season has now claimed her place beside the male and everyone is anxiously waiting to see if female #4 will fill the nest with eggs. Do to the high number of eagles in the area, there are regular encounters and challenges for the nesting territory.

I particularly like this nest cam because of the moderated discussion that goes on where questions are asked and knowledgable experts provide answers and explanations, it's very interesting and educational. The website has links to all kinds of other stuff, including a blog and a shared photo and video section with some interesting clips of nest activity. I should also add that this particular camera is a pan, tilt, and zoom camera with a quality image capable of some incredible close-ups when there is an operator at the controls. Since there's no eggs yet, the eagles aren't always on the nest, but they have bonded and been seen mating in the nest tree so the chance of seeing eggs being laid is still a possibilty. Here's the link for any that might be interested in checking it out.

http://www.wvec.com/eaglecam

#17 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I remember when that female was killed, my husband lives up in that area. We're going for a visit the week before Easter, we'll have to hit the Botanical Gardens and see what we can catch a glimpse of!

#18 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

I had the World Famous Decorah Eagles up on a dedicated monitor last year, 24/7.  I'm attempting to avoid getting involved this year. ;)  I did hear she just laid her third egg a few days ago.

#19 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

There is a Hooded Oriole on the Rio Grande feeder cam right now.

I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

#20 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Man, I wish I could look. My computers parental settings wont let me go there! :( Going to go to my moms computer.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users