Photo
- - - - -

Is this Gila Woodpecker infected with mycoplasmal conjuntivitis?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BigOly

BigOly

NoBadDaysBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

We have a few House Finches with the disease from time to time.  This is the first year I've seen it in Gilas, if that is what this bird's problem is.  We actually have at least 2 like this that come to our yard. Baja Sur.

#2 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,483 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, sure looks like it.

#3 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

The strain of bacteria that infects house finches is Mycoplasma gallisepticum...which is the strain that infects chickens and turkeys.  There is usually not a lot of crossover between this one and other bird species.  It was originally thought to be unusual to see this in House Finches when it was identified. Another common bird disease that could look like this (in the early stages) is Avian Pox.  This is a viral illness and is known to affect many more different bird species.  I've had House Finches in my backyard infected with the mycoplasmal conjunctivitis, and also the Avian Pox (which is very obvious when the wartlike lesions appear).

From what little I know, I would doubt it was the same pathogen as the House Finches, but obviously this bird is sick with something. 

If I were you, I would contact The Cornell Lab of Ornithology.  Believe it or not, you can contact them directly and someone will respond to you about this bird. I'd love to hear their response if you decide to go this route.

http://www.birds.cor...ual.htm#Disease

#4 BigOly

BigOly

NoBadDaysBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Tom, thanks for the advice.  I will contact Cornel and keep you posted.

#5 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

No Prob Big Oly.  If it turns out Gila Woodpeckers are suffering an outbreak of something, I'd think it's something they'd be interested in anyway

#6 mmosconi23

mmosconi23

mmosconi23

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, NY

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Poor guy. So in specimens like this, is the infected eye completely dysfunctional? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users