26 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Just an update.

There is major progress in the new Whatbird Forums.

Bigfoot has seen the new system and tested the Chat Room.  The Chat Room shows members that choose to enter the room and allow the Chat to be in a second tab page so the member may switch between The Forums and Chat.

The new Forums have a different look, more modern, and navigation between the forums seems more efficient. 

There is still information being loaded as we speak, and the Beta testing may be by next week.  Still this is not a promise just an estimate assuming no major problems need to be resolved.

Galleries still need to be transferred and those that remember the server change will recall the time needed to copy all the photos.

The new Forums are close and the "Oops" message will be a thing of the past.

Bigfoot

#2 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Bigfoot:

the "Oops" message will be a thing of the past.

Just like Britney Spears.  .... oh no, I did it again :-(

#3 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

YEAH!!! Thanks, Bigfoot.

#4 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

The chat feature sounds pretty cool- do you see an obvious way to "invite" (prompt, query,nudge) others to chat? [rather than just 'see' who has joined chat]

Those of us who are on late @ nite- like Poormatty, Creeker- we can have some brewskis together while PM and CRKR correct my i.d.'s Big Smile

#5 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Cool beans! I'm excited about all this. Hopefully this chatroom will be a little more active than the one created by whatbird member TheGrine...unfortunately, it's been pretty dead now for a while. 

#6 Kaysei

Kaysei

Kaysei

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Locationsouth GA yall

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hooray for progress!  I can't wait to get into my profile and add more pics!

#7 Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts
  • LocationCavan, Ontario (near Peterborough)

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

BirderMadeleine:
Cool beans! I'm excited about all this. Hopefully this chatroom will be a little more active than the one created by whatbird member TheGrine...unfortunately, it's been pretty dead now for a while. 

"Cool beans"??!!!

That's a new one for me.  I kinda like it.  Is that a Texan thing?

#8 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

Northern and Central California birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

I say "cool beans" too.  I don't know where it came from, I don't think I have heard anyone say it before, but I had to have picked it up somewhere in CA.

#9 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I hear "Cool beans" a lot. Not sure why people, usually teens, enjoy saying it. I don't really find beans very cool. Stick out tongue

Thanks for the update, Bigfoot. Excuse our off-topic discussions. 

#10 adm7075

adm7075

adm7075

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

"Cool beans" been around a mighty long time. Could say since Moby Dick was a minnow.

#11 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Cavan Wood:

BirderMadeleine:

"Cool beans"??!!!

Nope, not just a Texan thing... I hear a lot of other people say it fairly often. Maybe Canadians just don't use it. ;)

#12 NatureLady

NatureLady

NatureLady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

BirderMadeleine:
Cavan Wood:

BirderMadeleine:

"Cool beans"??!!!

Nope, not just a Texan thing... I hear a lot of other people say it fairly often. Maybe Canadians just don't use it. ;)

I used to say it when i was young(teenager) so must be a teenage thing! I'm  not sure how old BirderMadeleine is but I can't wait to update my life/big year list!!!

#13 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

NatureLady:
BirderMadeleine:
Cavan Wood:

BirderMadeleine:

"Cool beans"??!!!

I used to say it when i was young(teenager) so must be a teenage thing! I'm  not sure how old BirderMadeleine is but I can't wait to update my life/big year list!!!

Haha, well, teenager now. :)

It'll be good to update my signature again also! My last lifer was a Tundra Swan, not a Marsh Wren.

#14 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

NatureLady:
BirderMadeleine:
Cavan Wood:

BirderMadeleine:

"Cool beans"??!!!

Haha, well I'm a teenager now, but I said it every now and then even before I was one. And, yes, it'll be good to update our signatures again! My latest lifer was a Tundra Swan, not a Marsh Wren.

#15 johnnybirder

johnnybirder

johnnybirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Crap  BB22 here

Yeah... it takes a really long time before something reaches the Great White North! :D]

"Cool Beans" has been around since Moby Dick's parents were minnows! Surprise

#16 JimUSNY

JimUSNY

I'm Learning

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Locationupstate NY on the Hudson River

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

If the new forums have the feature, it would be nice if there was a link back to the forums from the bottom of a thread like there is at the top, so when you read all the responses  you can click to the main page again..

#17 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

If my calculations are correct, Madeleine must be about 13 by now. I don't remember hearing "cool beans" in decades.  They don't say it here; it would be "frijoles frescos", which actually kind of works too LOL!

Helen

#18 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

What was it I said about Forum drift?  

Now I'd better check out this expression "Cool Beans"   I want to keep this forum clean and Family friendly.   I'm not so sure that this is not a mild oath or some other forum of Urban Swearing.   Gotta be careful here.   I got my moderating hook ready to grab the bad guys.   Just itching to use the hook. (or the spammer slammer hammer)

FigBoot

#19 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

The Chat room has an indicator in the main page of the number of members in chat.  And as I said the chat page and forums page are different and can both be open at the same time.

I don't see a method of inviting members to join chat.  But at the bottom of the main forums page is a list of members names in chat.

Bigfoot

#20 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

The PM notification system will be working, you could invite chat via PM and the PM notification would show up to the member right then.

BF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users