#1 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

I decided to create this in order to help answer all the questions that are being asked in various threads. The mods/admins are busy dealing with the big issues involved with the system change I'm sure, so we’ll all have to help out each other for the next while.

For other forums in which I am a member or a moderator, I've found that community-based user guides work better than those produced by mods/admins anyways because they are updated more frequently and contain more pertinent information.

I will edit this post as more questions are asked and solutions provided, so feel free to respond with either of these!

Why can't I use my profile / change my settings / create a thread / use the search function?
New members have some restrictions put on them until they prove they are not spammers. Do so by posting in a normal fashion.

How do I edit my profile?
To edit your profile, simply click your username at the top of the page Posted Image then click ‘My Profile’ and ‘Edit My Profile’. Here you can change edit your personal information viewable to others users, change your timezone, and alter other profile settings.

How do I change my signature, display name or avatar?
You can change your signature or display name by navigating to 'Edit My Profile' as described in the question above, then clicking 'Signature' or ‘Display Name’. Changing your avatar is done by hovering over your avatar picture in your profile, clicking 'Change', and following the steps in the question below.

How do I upload an avatar?
There are two methods of uploading an avatar:
1. Resize your photo to something the size of 100x100 pixels or 150x150 pixels. Make sure you click 'Done'!
2. Use the 'Gravatar' option. To do this, all you have to do is (i) go here to make an account, (ii) upload and submit your photo, (iii) come back to WhatBird, (iv) choose the 'Gravatar' option when you're changing your avatar on this forum. Make sure you click 'Done'!

How do I post a photo?
There are two methods of uploading a photo:
1. Upload your file to Flickr, Picasa, Imgur, or a similar site, then click the picture button Posted Image and input your image url. That last step can also be achieved by typing this without the spaces: [ img ]yoururlhere[ /img ] ). Many sites like Flickr and Imgur provide links with [ img ] tags already around the url which are easily copied and pasted into your post!
2. You can also use the 'attach' feature, but there are problems associated with this feature including: (i) the thumbnails are tiny, and you have to click them to see a viewable photo, (ii) if the attachment is a large file it takes forever to load, (iii) if it's a large photo, it doesn't fit on some computer screens, (iv) the feature doesn't work at all for some people.

3. Uploading an album to the WhatBird gallery and posting the direct link is also possible.

*NOTE* If you are still having problems, read my post below this one (the second post in the thread) for a step-by-step guide.

*Note* Please do not post photos or images copied from the internet. This is a violation of copyright. You may however post a link to the photo but not the photo itself.

Should I delete my old photos since it says I'm over the attachment limit?
No. This removes your photos from the original threads in which they were posted. It is possible that space limitations may ease in the next month or two as well.

How do I send private messages and access my message inbox?
You do this by clicking the envelope icon at the top of the page: Posted Image. If you receive a new message, a red notification will appear on this envelope.

Why do I get an '500kB limit' error when trying to attach a photo?
As our mod Bigfoot says, this is an "artifact of the practice/testing phase of the forums". Don't delete your old photos yet! All the same, try posting photos by the first method described in the question above rather than by post attachment.

How do I view a member's recent posts?
At the present time, the best method of doing this is to hover over someone's username (in my case, 'Platypus') and click 'Find content'. It will show all the topics and posts since the update.

What are the benefits of the new system?
IPB is far more stable than the old system. Furthermore, a lot of the problems with the old forum such as error messages, lack of message notifications, photo uploading, etc. are now alleviated. The user interface is much more aesthetically pleasing, avatars are larger, and site navigation has been greatly improved. Thanks again to the mods/admins for making the change!

#2 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

If you still are having trouble posting photos, my best suggestion for you is to download is to upload your photos to Imgur.com. This is by far the easiest method of uploading photos as there is no bandwidth limit, no account creation needed, and no site navigation necessary. All you do is:
1. Go to Imgur.com
2. Click 'Computer'
3. Find the photo(s) on your computer and click 'open'. You can upload more than one photo at a time.
4. Click 'Start Upload'
5. Copy and paste the 'BBCCode' and paste it into your forum post (see below).
Posted Image

#3 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Okay, I have a question - how do you "Like" another user? I'm sure this is somewhere really super obvious, and I'm just missing it. Help?

#4 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationSouth-central Illinois

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

I just wanted to say that if you are posting photos from your flickr acount it is easier to go to the share tab above your photo in your flickr account and copy the BBCode and then paste it into your post. You do not have to use the little tree button to post pics from flickr.

Posted Image
flickr help.bmp by Laramore, on Flickr

I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

#5 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

Okay, I have a question - how do you "Like" another user? I'm sure this is somewhere really super obvious, and I'm just missing it. Help?

Limpkin - you don't 'Like' a user in their profile, you Like a post that they make, then the cumulative number of Likes are displayed in their profile. Like a post by clicking the button shown here:
Posted Image

Hope that helps!

#6 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

Limpkin - you don't 'Like' a user in their profile, you Like a post that they make, then the cumulative number of Likes are displayed in their profile. Like a post by clicking the button shown here:
Posted Image

Hope that helps!

I understand now. Thanks, Platypus!

#7 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

Question- When you delete a photo from your "cache" of posted / uploaded photos, are they then deleted from the thread that contained them? For example, if I cleared out my posted photos by deleting them, and I opened a thread I created last year of a hawk I wanted an ID of, will that picture be gone in the thread? Or replaced by that annoying "This picture has been moved or deleted" message?? Thanks.

I haven't tried myself, but I do believe that's the way it works. I know some users have deleted their attachments, and they are no longer visible in old threads. If you use the photo posting method recommended in the OP though, you don't need to remove your old attachments.

Limpkin - glad it worked!

#8 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

I'd hold off before I went deleting all my old photos. I'm betting we'll see this get addressed, since photography is such a big part of WhatBird Fora. No reason to make a lot of work for yourself later!
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

#9 lonestranger

lonestranger

lonestranger

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationActon, Ontario

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

A very good idea having a FAQ thread for the new system, your effort is appreciated, PurplePlatypus. Perhaps we could persuade someone to pin this thread to the top for a while to help us all with the transition.

Oh Bigfoot, does your spammer slammer hammer work on pins too?

I just noticed that this thread has a star beside it, does that keep it at the top like pinned threads? I'd hate for Bigfoot to pull out the spammer slammer hammer if it wasn't necessary.

Recently(July 5/14)added some new photos to my Picasa Web Album.

http://picasaweb.goo...Ai6G4wenXZD7ClQ

#10 Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

I've pinned/stickied this thread to the top of the forum for better visibility.

It should provide a good reference point for posters while we get the bugs ironed out.
Raptor - Forum Moderator

"Do not attribute any action to malice that can be explained by stupidity."
"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you by experience."

#11 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,493 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

How do you make a signature? I had one in the old forums, but it is gone here. Thanks for making this thread, Platypus.

ABA list: 461 Latest- Ancient Murrelet
Yearlist: 432 Latest- White-headed Woodpecker
Yard List- 110 Latest: Clay-colored Sparrow and Rock Wren
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#12 Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

How do you make a signature? I had one in the old forums, but it is gone here. Thanks for making this thread, Platypus.

How do I edit my signature?
To edit your signature, simply click your username at the top of the page Posted Image then click ‘My Settings’ and the ‘Signature’ tab on the left. You can then change your signature by typing whatever you like and hitting save.

EDIT: I've added this to the original post if any other members need help figuring it out.
Raptor - Forum Moderator

"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you by experience."

#13 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Thanks Raptor. I've updated the OP to include info about changing your signature.

#14 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Platypus just posted something and it says that it was posted at 1:43 PM. My clock says it is 7:44 AM. I know that it should be Am, but is it military time?

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#15 Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Platypus just posted something and it says that it was posted at 1:43 PM. My clock says it is 7:44 AM. I know that it should be Am, but is it military time?

Have you set your timezone in the profile settings?
Raptor - Forum Moderator

#16 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I just went and did that. I also made a signature.

#17 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Great! Glad it worked. The OP has been updated with this information.

How do I edit my profile?
To edit your profile, simply click your username at the top of the page Posted Image then click ‘My Profile’ and ‘Edit My Profile’. Here you can change edit your personal information viewable to others users, change your timezone, and alter other profile settings.

#18 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Okay now I have another thing. I went and edited a picture, made sure it was small enough. I made it my new profile picture. (it is the same picture, but different copy.) It shows the same version as the first one. When I go to update it, it says that the one I want is my profile pic. What is going on?

Oh and what about private messages? (how do I send them?)

#19 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Question: I looks like the pre-launch threads are still "locked" this morning (at least I can't see any post-launch posts to pre-launch threads). Are they going to stay that way? I hope not because that would mean we would lose the fun of and ability to update "Lunch," and other long-term threads. Just curious.

Still liking the new look (and all the new avatars).

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#20 Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Pat - It's working for me. I posted in an old pre-update thread yesterday and it went through. Test it out and if your still having issues, post back.
Raptor - Forum Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users