Photo
- - - - -

Who thinks this Bruce Lee Hawk will keep seagulls away from a SF Giants baseball game?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 birdhacker

birdhacker

• Administrators
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Will this really help keep thousands of seagulls away?

http://deadspin.com/...d-secret-weapon

#2 johnnybirder

johnnybirder

johnnybirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

I find this very funny. Hopefully it will work but i don't want to be at a game and the red-tailed spook the gulls. :)
Latest Lifers: Western Grebe, Golden Eagle, Black-billed Cuckoo, Bay-breasted Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Connecticut Warbler, Crested Caracara, Wilson's Plover, Brown-headed Nuthatch, and Elegant Tern.
Total Lifers: 321

#3 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Great article but I have real doubts a single Red-shouldered Hawk visiting a ball game every few days is going to be a deterrent to seagulls. These are tough birds. Am I wrong?

Mitch

PS I pinned this because I am really interested in what people think about this. The Giants are my home team.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

#4 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

I'm with you Mitch. I don't think this'll put a big dent in the problem, but it's neat at least. As an aside - do Giants fans see the gulls as problem, or is it just team ownership and management?

#5 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

Great article but I have real doubts a single Red-shouldered Hawk visiting a ball game every few days is going to be a deterrent to seagulls. These are tough birds. Am I wrong?

Mitch

PS I pinned this because I am really interested in what people think about this. The Giants are my home team.

Anectodally, I can see some serious affects that one little sharp-shinned hawk hanging around does to my backyard bird feeding. The birds know when raptors are around, and behave accordingly.

Apparently the gulls and pigeons used to show up after the game, but since have started showing up around 7th inning, pooping on fans being the primary complaint.

"Bruce Lee" (very funny name for a Red-tailed Hawk) is in fact a decent sized Red-tailed Hawk who would have no problem at the very least spooking seagulls.

Seems like it could work, as long as they are consistent. But if they go more than a couple days without the raptor, it probably won't work
"I'm not a Colonel"

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Really, the team can't afford a falconer? Major League Baseball, notorious for high salaries and wasting money? That amazes me. How much could a falconer cost? Also, don't these guys have iphones? C'mon, google Red-tailed Hawk nesting habits so you don't "build a nest box on one of it's favorite poles" that it will never use. I haven't seen a Red-tailed Hawk try to catch and eat a gull. I'd be surprised if one did. I have seen them hunt down pigeons (I described the process in a different thread,) but pigeons are not bright birds and will keep coming back to the slaughter. The team would be better off educating the fans on why the gulls and pigeons are there in the first place, and provide more receptacles for them to put uneaten food in. Cut out the food source, and the birds will leave.
Creationist Birder

#7 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Really, the team can't afford a falconer? Major League Baseball, notorious for high salaries and wasting money? That amazes me. How much could a falconer cost?

LOL, but true. So I looked it up, and that information is not easy to find. I found one source that said Falconers charge (on average) $50-$60/hr
http://www.organicco...lcons110203.cfm. But not sure that would include all the extra taxes and fees you get in the SF Bay area. Another source (sorry, lost it) claimed that the falcon birds had to be flown 20 times per day to be effective (not sure how accurate, looked like an "unscientific opinion"). But, if true, I could see the owners feeling that the problem was not worth the cost of that solution.

The team would be better off educating the fans on why the gulls and pigeons are there in the first place, and provide more receptacles for them to put uneaten food in. Cut out the food source, and the birds will leave.

This of course would solve the problem -- but unfortunately for the Giants owners, would never happen. This would be as likely has having people clean up all their stuff in a movie theater when the movie was over. Ha ha !
"I'm not a Colonel"

#8 jblakelock

jblakelock

jblakelock

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationPleasant Hill, CA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

I've been to several Giants games and gulls have never seemed to be a problem. I see them mostly flying around and occasionally one might land on the field, but I've never seen them in the stands.
Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake - Wallace Stevens

#9 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

jblakelock,

If you watch the video at the bottom of this link:http://www.csnbayare...740&feedID=2539

you can see gulls in the giants stadium in the stands eating meat, bread, nachos, even one looked like he was going for a drink of wine !
"I'm not a Colonel"

#10 DianeD

DianeD

DianeD

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

The gulls are amazing. We suspect they can read the scoreboard since they seem to show up in the 7th inning, when they hang out and cheer for every out that brings the game closer to an end, and to their dinner time. There are so many of them I can't imagine one predator scaring them all away.

They are part of the Giants experience, as near as I can tell, but maybe they are more of a problem to the facilities folks, and maybe to the grounds crew and outfielders.

Posted Image
106_3464 by Twotonetuna22, on Flickr

Posted Image
106_3467 by Twotonetuna22, on Flickr

#11 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

The gulls are amazing. We suspect they can read the scoreboard since they seem to show up in the 7th inning, when they hang out and cheer for every out that brings the game closer to an end, and to their dinner time. There are so many of them I can't imagine one predator scaring them all away.

They are part of the Giants experience, as near as I can tell, but maybe they are more of a problem to the facilities folks, and maybe to the grounds crew and outfielders.

Diane this had me LMAO. I want to thank you and everyone else who responded so far to this post from James. Its really enlightening in so many ways.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

#12 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

Northern and Central California birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

I think they must read the scoreboard too...or either that or they understand the 7th inning stretch...because that's when they mob the stadium. For however many thousands show up though, I have never seen them get too aggressive until the fans are leaving. SF has its fair share of Peregrines, that's what they should be trying to attract.

Lifelist: 240
Latest lifer: Wrentit
I support Ebird.com & the North American Bird Phenology Program!

#13 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, if I had to pick a falcon (hawk) to scare off gulls and pigeons I would pick a Cooper's Hawk or a Peregrine Falcon. The eat a lot of birds.

::Edit:: Or a Northern Goshawk, but I think the like Grouse.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#14 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, if I had to pick a falcon (hawk) to scare off gulls and pigeons I would pick a Cooper's Hawk or a Peregrine Falcon. The eat a lot of birds.

Red-tailed is actually not a bad choice, despite popular belief..........

http://www.whatbird....=1
Creationist Birder

#15 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Giants operations director Jorge Costa....

I wonder if he ever gets confused for former Yankees employee George Costanza.
My amateur bird blog: EarlyMorningNonsense

#16 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

I meant for falcons. . .

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#17 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

I haven't seen a Red-tailed Hawk try to catch and eat a gull. I'd be surprised if one did. I have seen them hunt down pigeons (I described the process in a different thread,) but pigeons are not bright birds and will keep coming back to the slaughter.

I've seen it numerous times. Our resident pair at work take out herring and ring billed frequently.

#18 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

I've seen it numerous times. Our resident pair at work take out herring and ring billed frequently.

Awesome! Good to know!
Creationist Birder

#19 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I almost flagged this thread for spam when I saw the title. :D

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#20 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

I almost flagged this thread for spam when I saw the title. :D

I did too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users