22 replies to this topic

#1 brad_a

brad_a

brad_a

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

I am so depressed. I remember when I liked our neighborhood. Now I have three surrounding neighbors with dogs. I was just informed today that the next door neighbor is putting up a chain linked fence so he can get a puppy. Aghhh, so mad. I enjoy my backyard birds, especially the shier ones as well as migrating species. I have to say, i feel those days are over. One of the people with dogs has a dog that barks all the time when outside, now those two dogs will probably just bark at each other. Do other posterss have this problem and have you seen an effect on birds found in the backyard? :(

#2 Shoveler26

Shoveler26

2014 IN Big year

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

well not really I have two (on each side) Loud Dogs and the Birds don't seem to be affected by the barking once they get used to the dogs sound or bark and then to them it is just like a car going by so yeah don't worry!

My Recent Lifers: Black-billed cuckoo,Black bellied Whistling duck, Olive Sided flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, Worm-Eating Warbler, Eurasian Wigeon, Brewer's Blackbird, Scissor Tailed Flycatcher- All seen in Indiana this year. 

My Recent FOY's: Least Bittern, Philadelphia Vireo, Golden Winged Warbler, Mourning Warbler, Yellow billed Cuckoo, Black throated Blue Warbler, Black Bellied Plover, Acadian Flycatcher.

My Yearlist for Indiana: 250

My life list: 322

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...os/83809814@N06

#3 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

I have a dog who loves to chase birds. . . and that didn't stop me from getting 90 yard birds! He has killed at least four, and I still have got a TON of birds. Like shoveler said, birds don't really mind dogs that much. They even will come to my feeder with him five feet away. . . they just wait for him to turn his head.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#4 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have a big barky dog and also dogs in EVERY yard that touches mine. I still get tons of birds. The cardinals and the chickadees just ignore my dog. They will land on the feeder even when he is sitting under it. - no fear. However....he scares off the resident Cooper Hawk whenever it perches on the fence.
Denise

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."
Carl Sandburg

#5 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yeah, my dog really doesn't like hawks or owls. . . but they don't seem to mind him.

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, the birds used to practically land on my dogs. They used to eat all my dog's food before the dogs could get to it. And I had four large dogs! Ravens, Crows, Starlings, House Sparrows, Song Sparrows, House Finches, California Towhees, Scrub Jays, and more all used to get in on the party. I'd look out the door at my snoozing dogs as the hordes of feathered scavengers took full advantage.
Creationist Birder

#7 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

If my dog (Chef) is outside playing, I will bring a bowl of water for him and set it on the patio. The House Finches think it is a new birdbath...
Denise

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."
Carl Sandburg

#8 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Dogs aren't natural predators of birds, so there's really no function of "genetic memory" there to guide them away from dogs. If the dog approaches aggressively, the bird will generally flee. I have many hundreds of birds through a day, and they ignore any barking from the neighbor dogs, and even my dog as long as he doesn't get within a few feet of them. If he crouches and does the stalking-thing, they'll fly, but only out of reach - fence or low tree branches, or up onto the feeders themselves if there's room. As soon as he loses interest, they're right back on the ground where they were as if he were never there.

He did get a wild hair one evening - caught and ate a dove. But compared to the Sharpies and Coopers, it's an immeasurably small attrition.

Remember that we are providing an unnaturally "cheap" food source. It's nearly infinite in availability with an incredibly small caloric expense to retrieve it, and an extraordinarily low risk factor. From an environmental genetics standpoint, we risk weakening the various species we feed. A little predation is actually not a bad thing at all. We must be thankful we have things like the accipiters and even, yes, the dogs and cats to help raise the cost of that food-source a bit. Every dove that is bagged by the Sharpie encourages quicker stronger Sharpies, and culls the slower less attentive dove, and natural selection is fulfilled. If a dove that can move in three-space can't even escape a dog - what hope does it have against a Sharpie?!? Do we want that dove to have access to infinite resources and therefore infinite potential to reproduce? Nature will take its course and the species will be that much stronger for it.
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

#9 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

This thread is an oldie but I wanted to comment that I'd take dogs over kids any day. A couple months ago a young family bought the empty house next door. They have four kids. Constant whooping, screaming, squeeling, hollering and riding of a dirt bike...sigh. I have an acre of property with several nesting boxes scattered around. This past weekend one of the kids was riding his dirt bike on my property out back. It may be why the chickadees appear to have abandoned their nest with 9 eggs.

I'd rather be birding.

#10 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

This thread is an oldie but I wanted to comment that I'd take dogs over kids any day. A couple months ago a young family bought the empty house next door. They have four kids. Constant whooping, screaming, squeeling, hollering and riding of a dirt bike...sigh. I have an acre of property with several nesting boxes scattered around. This past weekend one of the kids was riding his dirt bike on my property out back. It may be why the chickadees appear to have abandoned their nest with 9 eggs.

They make invisible fences for dogs. i wonder if that would work for kids too? Although, it might be a little hard to attach the shock collar :ph34r:
Denise

Carl Sandburg

#11 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

I have four kids. . .and a dog. We still get plenty of birds on our feeders. :)

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#12 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

At the same house with all the birds eating the dog's food, I let the neighborhood kids build a dirt bike track around the pond. They would race three at a time. Bothered me more than the birds nesting in the area, but I figured it was worth a little inconvenience on my part if those kids had something fun to do outside. Just be happy for those kids next door. They get to grow up somewhere where they can have fun outdoors, instead of stay inside and play video games. I'm sure it doesn't bother the birds at all. You will get used to the kids in time. I would try to get to know the family. If you don't want them on your property, then it will be easier to tell them nicely. They might even develop an interest in birding.
Creationist Birder

#13 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

in all seriousness, I have Bluebirds nesting 10 ft from where the neighbors boys are cllimbing trees, playing baseball and having a great (loud) time. The birds have nesting in that same box for the last 5 years. Look at this as an opportunity to influence young minds and maybe they will begin to have an appreciation and love for nature like you do.
Denise

Carl Sandburg

#14 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'll admit, I'm not a 'kid' person. Where I work (retail) there are screaming kids all day and parents who ignore them. My home used to be my sane place away from the madness. I guess what bothered me the most is, the parents were outside while their son was riding his dirt bike in my yard and never said a word to him. Not starting off on the right foot as far as I'm concerned. I don't see us 'neighboring' any time soon.

I'd rather be birding.

#15 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, I do understand on that. All four of my kids know to not play in anyone's yard unless they have permission.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#16 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, I do understand on that. All four of my kids know to not play in anyone's yard unless they have permission.

Us homeschoolers are extra polite! ;)

#17 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

one neighbor has a mixed breed little yipper all of 5 or 6 lbs of nervous energy. he shows up in my back yard maybe once a week yipping
and running in circles and the ground feeding birds just fly up into the trees till he heads home. he has never came close to catching anything and the cat from the other neighbors house has chased him off a number of times.

#18 Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

I have a nieghbor two houses down that has a cocker spaniel. The animal gets loose and leaves her calling card on my deck. She is scaring off the song birds that come to my yard. :P

#19 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

OP, I'm thinking your property is not fenced? Here in California, it seems everyone's property is fenced, no matter how large the parcel. My "yard" was five acres and was fenced with barbed wire. Remember the old adage "Good fences make good neighbors." :)
Creationist Birder

#20 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Man, I don't think I have seen a non fenced yard in CA. And I have been there several times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users