Photo
- - - - -

Evil Safflower Consuming HOSP (No under 14)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cwj2323

cwj2323

Ferhoodled

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1762 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

We've begun trapping house sparrows in the hopes of getting Tree Swallows to nest here. So the HOSP would be interested in the bait, we've stopped throwing bird seed on the ground for the other sparrows, doves, etc. We use safflower and peanuts in the shell to keep some of the other birds, like Cardinals, Jays, etc. Well, those silly HOSP have figured out how to eat safflower seed. Most of our finches are gone now, just a few House Finches and they eat about anything. I am not sure there is a feeder that would be strictly HOSP-proof that would allow the cardinals to eat from it.

We've not trapped a HOSP in several days because they found the plentiful food source. Someone suggested white bread, but we tried popcorn and that worked only a couple days. I was hoping to get most of these before nesting season, but I think some have already started, but not sure. I am not seeing as many and we know we haven't trapped that much.

At this point, I am wondering if we should basically stop feeding the birds. I'd hate to do this, but not sure what other options there are. Does anyone have any ideas that I am not thinking of.

Thank you for any help.

Life list (non ABA)- 221

Latest: Ross's Gull
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-96
2013 Year list- 192
Yard list- 121

Latest: Ring-billed Gull

#2 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I use Millet in my trap. Seems to work the best. I have HOSP that eat the safflower too, so it is hard to keep them away from the feeders. I find that it I feed a fruit and nut mix, the HOSP stay away from the feeder. The cardinals, chickadees, Blue Jays and Titmouse like the nuts. The Robins and Mockingbirds like the fruit. The only downside is that the Grackles like it too.
Good luck
Denise

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."
Carl Sandburg

#3 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'm still waiting to see photos of a Safflower eating a House Sparrow... :P
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

#4 cwj2323

cwj2323

Ferhoodled

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1762 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Oh dear, cabirds. :o I cannot change it now, so we're stuck.

Spyonabird, I could try the fruit and nut mix and see what happens. Last fall the hosp kept taking the nuts, only to deposit them elsewhere, but maybe they've forgotten. Crazy birds.

Life list (non ABA)- 221

Latest: Ross's Gull
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-96
2013 Year list- 192
Yard list- 121

Latest: Ring-billed Gull

#5 bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

I've stopped feeding the millet mixes and now only feed nuts, fruit and mealworms on my porch. And in the feeders I put thistle & safflower and black oil sunflower seeds. So far the HOSPs show no interest in the safflower but they try to break up the peanuts.

#6 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3610 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I've stopped with the millet mixes, too, with the exception of the millet in the suet blocks I put out. We've also stopped with sunflower seeds. Too many cowbirds take over the feeder if I put that out. We have safflower in one, thistle in another, and the suet. (Well, and a hummingbird feeder but that's beside the point.) I've been considering doing a peanut tray and a mealworm tray. We've got some wrens and bluebirds that would probably appreciate it.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 162

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 65
2014 so far: 102

#7 bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

If you do the mealworms, and dont grow your own, prepare for a large expense. I started feeding the live mealworms to my bluebirds and now the chickadees, titmice & red bellied woodpeckers have found the bowl. I am going to put out dried mealworms for these guys. Cheaper and much less hasstle. I will keep giving the bluebirds the live ones though. There are a few companies on line that are USA mealworms. If you go to Lowe's walmart etc. the mealworms and much of the other seeds etc are from china. That's BS.

#8 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

I get my mealworms from Camillies Vita-mealies. They are always alive and plump. They are also organic fed. If you are a bluebird society member in FLA or NC, I think they give you an extra discount. The prices are reasonable and shipping is included.
I have NO vested interest in this company, this is only a personal recommendation. I hope the spammer gods will forgive me this one indiscretion...
Denise

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."
Carl Sandburg

#9 Lutya

Lutya

Lizard Lady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I use the Vita-mealies to feed my leopard gecko. I also recommend them (not affiliated).

Life list: 234
Newest birds: Acorn Woodpecker, Snowy Plover, Surfbird

#10 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 5062 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

Oh dear, cabirds. :o I cannot change it now, so we're stuck.

How would you like it to read???

Evil Safflower Consuming HOSP (No under 14)

Bigfoot

I'll just do it...
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#11 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

So there's an Evil Safflower consuming House Sparrows? Got film of that? That sounds awesome!

Not picking on you, CWJ. English is a funny language that way, and one piece of out-of-place punctuation can destroy everything.

Read: "Eats, Shoots and Leaves : The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation." It's a hilarious (instructional) book. I admit, I'm lazier about it than I should be...
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

#12 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hehe. . . me like the new name! Of coarse all HOSP are evil!

ABA list: 381 Latest- Glaucous Gull
Yearlist: 173 Latest- White-throated Swift
Yard List- 96 latest: White-throated Swift
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  My whatbird gallery(thanks for 4500+ views!)- http://www.whatbird....pics-with-sx40/

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch Subscribe to me on YouTube! (if you feel like it)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#13 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1524 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Read: "Eats, Shoots and Leaves : The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation." It's a hilarious (instructional) book. I admit, I'm lazier about it than I should be...

I LOVE that book! I thought I was the only one who has read it. I really do want to walk around town with a bottle of White-Out to remove errant apostrophes, although I have never done it.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 279. Latest: Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone, Snowy Plover

#14 Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

To keep HOSP away from my feeders, I don't use millet or safflower. I stick with the larger nuts and sunflower seeds.

#15 bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

bluebirdlover

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'll have to get that book for my daughter.
I haven't trapped hosps in 2 weeks. Then a couple took over a bb house that a chickadee had been building her nest in. I let the hosps get real comfy for a week, then put in my VanErt trap and within 1/2 hr got the male. I stuck him in my repeating sparrow trap as a decoy and sure enough the female was trapped within 2 hours.

#16 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Congrats! I want to get one of those things.

My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  My whatbird gallery(thanks for 4500+ views!)- http://www.whatbird....pics-with-sx40/

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch Subscribe to me on YouTube! (if you feel like it)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#17 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1524 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'll probably be sorry I asked this, but what are you trapping HOSPs for? Game? Food? Poisoning? Moving elsewhere? Serious question - I've never heard of this before.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 279. Latest: Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone, Snowy Plover

#18 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Most bluebirds "landlords" will trap and dispatch House Sparrows to protect our native species alhough some people do not agree with this practice. Here is a video of a house sparrow attack in one of my bluebird houses a few years ago.

Denise

Carl Sandburg

#19 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11259 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Did she kill them?

#20 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Did she kill them?

The babies survived. We saw the attack with the camera and were able to scare her away.
Denise

Carl Sandburg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users