#1 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'm in the process of entering almost a year's worth of birding into eBird and I just got up to January 21st of this year when I saw (among other things) a huge flock of Wild Turkeys. When I went to enter them on eBird, it lists "Wild Turkey" and "Wild Turkey (Domestic Type)". Can someone explain the difference and tell me which I've got? Thanks.

Posted Image
Posted Image
My amateur bird blog: EarlyMorningNonsense

#2 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

I believe they are Wild Turkeys. . .

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#3 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

I don't know the answer, but "Wild Turkey, Domestic Type" strikes me as an oxymoron.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#4 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I've heard the difference is that a domestic turkey has a white band on the end of its tail and a wild turkey has a rusty-colored band. Don't know how accurate it is.

#5 Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts
  • LocationCavan, Ontario (near Peterborough)

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Yours are definitely wild turkeys. I suspect what they mean by "Wild Turkey (domestic type)" is feral domestic turkeys. The other option is that there is sometimes back-crossing of domestic to wild variety with white feathers showing up in some wild birds. Yours do not show that, so I think you're safe reporting Wild Turkey.
Scott

#6 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Thanks guys, glad to know I'm not alone in being somewhat confused.

#7 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Amazing pictures, by the way!!!

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#8 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

I think they don't get the credit they deserve for being beautiful birds. Someone around here was recently talking about the iridescence of the Bufflehead, but I think these turkeys can give that duck a run for his money. Copper, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange..... pretty amazing.

#9 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,493 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

Domestic turkeys are usually much fatter, and often different colors.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#10 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

So when they say "Wild Turkey (Domestic Type)" they mean a domestic turkey that you'd see on a farm? Or is this a feral bird? I mean they don't list barnyard Chickens on eBird, so..umm..do you see where I'm not quite 100% clear. I think I understand, but I want someone to spell it out for me.

#11 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,493 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

It could be any turkey that seems to be of domestic descent (not these ones, imo), whether feral or domestic. And they do list barnyard chickens on eBird, under Red Junglefowl (domestic type).

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog

#12 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

Oh..haha..I didn't realize that. Okay, thanks for the help Liam.

#13 mtdavid

mtdavid

mtdavid

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Yeah I would think "Wild Turkey" is the species name, and domestic turkeys would be the same species, hence the contradiction. I dont think you'd report a domestic-type Wild Turkey to eBird unless it was living in the wild though, that would be like reporting pets...anyway I want to commend you for putting all your sightings in eBird! Canada could use more eBird users from what I've seen.

Life List: 470
Most recent 5: Roseate Tern, Red-necked Stint, Arctic Tern, Red-necked Phalarope, Sandwich Tern.

#14 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I think we're doing alright. On the main page it lists the numbers of checklists submitted for the month and Ontario is third after California and New York. Quebec is 15th. And BC is 20th.

Seems like it's pretty much going by total population...although Maryland seems pretty high at 11th. Way to go Maryland! (is that the first time anyone has ever said that?)

And thanks for the greater clarification on the turkeys. Yeah, I think it's the fact that it's the species name that had me confused; in my mind, the turkeys you see on a farm and in the grocery store were a different species turkey, but I guess that's not true. Just one of those funny things in life that a farmed turkey is actually called a Wild Turkey.

#15 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

I think we're doing alright. On the main page it lists the numbers of checklists submitted for the month and Ontario is third after California and New York. Quebec is 15th. And BC is 20th.

Seems like it's pretty much going by total population...although Maryland seems pretty high at 11th. Way to go Maryland! (is that the first time anyone has ever said that?)

And thanks for the greater clarification on the turkeys. Yeah, I think it's the fact that it's the species name that had me confused; in my mind, the turkeys you see on a farm and in the grocery store were a different species turkey, but I guess that's not true. Just one of those funny things in life that a farmed turkey is actually called a Wild Turkey.

No, that's been said before! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_Terrapins_men's_basketball

#16 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

It could be any turkey that seems to be of domestic descent (not these ones, imo), whether feral or domestic. And they do list barnyard chickens on eBird, under Red Junglefowl (domestic type).

But to be reported on eBird, they'd have to be living in the wild, right? Otherwise I have a lot of turkeys, chickens, ducks, and geese to add to my life list LOL!

EDIT all the turkeys I see here are those pretty wild types. They are smaller than Butterballs for sure, with less generous breasts. A good-sized turkey might weigh 9 or 10 pounds once it's been plucked (head, feet, and organs intact).

Latest lifer: Ruddy-Capped Nightingale-Thrush

#17 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,654 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

But to be reported on eBird, they'd have to be living in the wild, right? Otherwise I have a lot of turkeys, chickens, ducks, and geese to add to my life list LOL!

EDIT all the turkeys I see here are those pretty wild types. They are smaller than Butterballs for sure, with less generous breasts. A good-sized turkey might weigh 9 or 10 pounds once it's been plucked (head, feet, and organs intact).

I believe you have a different, smaller species there, Helen. Ocellated Turkey. Here's a poor quality pic......

Posted Image
Creationist Birder

#18 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,493 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Haha, yes, I guess so. Just feral then.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog

#19 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,654 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

There is also a huge difference in intelligence between the wild and domestic turkeys. Wild Turkeys are intelligent and wary. Makes them very challenging to hunt. A small hand movement I made Saturday was spotted from 100 yards away and sent one heading in the other direction. Domestic turkeys are kind of dense. I once had one die in my coop because it got stuck in a corner.
Creationist Birder

#20 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I believe you have a different, smaller species there, Helen. Ocellated Turkey. Here's a poor quality pic......

Posted Image

Yes, I should have been clearer; our "wild" turkeys are the Ocellated Turkeys (and another one in Petén whose name I don't know in English); but our domesticated turkeys are all of the "wild" type as described and illustrated in this thread.

I have heard that the local domesticated turkeys are hybrids of the Ocellated Turkeys.

Latest lifer: Ruddy-Capped Nightingale-Thrush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users