#1 Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMaine Coast...

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

During an old episode of Deadliest Catch a big storm hit the fleet. On one of the boats the crew discovered a bird which was dazed or slightly injured, on deck. The captain, who of course know's everything after all he is the captain, say's with authority " It's a freshwater cormorant". He then proceeds to make a resting place for the bird out of a box. A soft blanket and a bowl of water was added to make it more like home :) Well the bird is not drinking water from the bowl (meow) so the captain pours water on it from his Poland Spring Bottle.

Eventually the freshwater cormorant returned to the ocean from whence it came. A heart warming story for sure!! If you're ever in the Bering Sea and hear the song of the freshwater cormorant, which sounds like this "SQUAWK" you'll know it is the same bird (affectionately names Squawk) that the Deadliest Catch boat rescued!!!!

btw~ I'm pretty sure it was a grebe of some type... :)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

That's hilarious! Took me a while to find it, but here it is (below) - I believe it's a Red-necked Grebe in its winter plumage. I've never seen the show myself, so thanks for the heads up!

#3 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

I remember that episode, it was a Red-necked Grebe.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users