Photo
- - - - -

Should I check on the babies in my birdhouse?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa M.

Lisa M.

Lisa M.

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

On April 13, I noticed a chickadee going in and out of birdhouse that was hanging from a tree in my front yard. I also heard babies -something I hadn't heard before - so I figured they had just hatched. Today I noticed some dark feathers coming out of a small drainage hole at the bottom of the birdhouse. It's a small hole, but I'm worried that a baby might be stuck. Should I check to see if everything is okay in there? The parents are still going in and out and I still hear the babies. I'm just not sure why there are feathers coming out of that hole. I'm also worried that if I open the door, the babies might be big enough to hop out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

The feathers you see sticking out through the drain hole are most likely part of the nest, many bird species line their nests with feathers for insulation. You can probably check the nest, though, without bothering the birds too much. The parents will just wait for you to leave and then resume feeding the chicks. And if any of the chicks should happen to hop out while you're doing your inspection, just pick them up and put them back. If you're worried about the parents abandonong the nest because they can smell your scent on the chicks, don't be. Most birds have a very weak sense of smell and the idea that a bird will abandon it's nest because it can smell a human is a myth.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

#3 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9163 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

It's probably best just to leave it alone.
Creationist Birder

#4 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11218 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

I agree with creeker. I once checked on a mourning dove nest and when I did all the babies (ready to) fledged!

ABA list: 381 Latest- Glaucous Gull
Yearlist: 173 Latest- White-throated Swift
Yard List- 96 latest: White-throated Swift
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  My whatbird gallery(thanks for 4500+ views!)- http://www.whatbird....pics-with-sx40/

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch Subscribe to me on YouTube! (if you feel like it)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#5 Lisa M.

Lisa M.

Lisa M.

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thank you to those who responded. Upon closer inspection, and without disturbing the babies, I noticed that what was coming out of the hole was some fur and a few feathers (obviously nesting material). I guess I'm feeling a bit overprotective. I never thought something would take up residence in that house since it has remained empty since I got it about two years ago. I'm used to having birds nest in my yard but not in a birdhouse. Now I will have to wait and worry until they all leave the nest. :rolleyes:

If anyone can give me some advice on when and how I should clean the birdhouse once it is empty (will they want to use it again right away?) I would appreciate that as well.

#6 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Here are a couple of links you may find useful.

http://www.sialis.org/clean.htm

http://www.ehow.com/...nest-boxes.html

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

#7 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

When I was about 14 I wanted to look into a Robins nest that had been built in our garage. It was too high for me to see in so I got a hand-held mirror and held it above the nest so I could see down into it. To my horror all the chicks popped straight up like a f'ing jack-n-the-box and most of them ended up on the ground. I ran inside to see if anyone could help me but when I came back all the chicks were gone. Not sure whatever happened to them.

I'm still mortified.

Life List - 242

White-winged Scoter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users