mcvliet

black bird with yellow stripe

39 posts in this topic

This black bird is new this year. It is just a bit smaller than a Cardinal. Bird is black. Beak may be dark gold and blackish. This bird has a bright yellow (or possibly white) stripe on the wing below the shoulder which is visible when the bird is resting. The stripe is less than one inch and lays horizontially. Black feet. Eye is black. Somewhere on this bird is a red mark which I only see when it's in flight. Cannot tell where the red is... maybe under wing or tail. We've not seen this before and thought it was a red-winged blackbird at first glance. If it is, it does not have the red and yellow stripe typically seen. I am really stumped on this one. Any help would be very much appreciated. We are in central NY. Closer to PA than Canada. In the Binghamton area. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to WhatBird!

It sounds like a male Red-Winged Blackbird to me. The red stripe can be a bit small sometimes and actually hidden when the bird is at rest under other feathers, which might be allowing you to only see the whitish-yellow stripe below it. There's always variation between individuals, so you could have found a male with a particularly small red patch.

If you can snap a picture, that would solve the question for sure!

1 person likes this

Here's a pic of a red-winged blackbird where the red is hidden.

pkmmk.jpg

I live in Central Ohio and the bird I've been seeing at my feeders appears to be a Tricolored Blackbird, not a juvenile Red-Winged Blackbird. His vocalization is definitely not as sweet as the Red-Winged. And he usually appears alone, feasts on black-oil sunflower seeds and flies off at any disturbance in the yard. I've been seeing this or similar birds at my feeders since last su

post-80511-0-69677000-1399865920_thumb.jpg

I live in Central Ohio and the bird I've been seeing at my feeders appears to be a Tricolored Blackbird, not a juvenile Red-Winged Blackbird. His vocalization is definitely not as sweet as the Red-Winged. And he usually appears alone, feasts on black-oil sunflower seeds and flies off at any disturbance in the yard. I've been seeing this or similar birds at my feeders since last su

Hi Rulamarr,

Welcome to Whatbird!  Is that photograph a pic of a bird you took in Ohio?   From what I understand Tricoloreds have been found on the West Coast only, although ranges are changing so maybe my info is outdated.

Laurie

1 person likes this

Attached Thumbnails
  • Tricolored Blackbird.jpg

This is probably the best candidate for Tricolored that I've seen in the east, but I still suspect that it's a Red-winged. The red seems rather bright for a Tricolored, and the white isn't all that broad. Still, it would probably be worth sending any photos you can get and ideally a recording of the calls to the Ohio Bird Records Committee, at this link:

http://www.ohiobirds.org/site/committee/rarebird-submission.php

3 people like this

The red just seems a shade too orangey for Tri-colored, IMO.

1 person likes this

The red just seems a shade too orangey for Tri-colored, IMO.

That's what I was thinking, too, but I think we really need to hear it's calls. 

::Edit:: Also the fact that it comes by itself is tricolor like. They avoid RWBL at all costs.

1 person likes this

This is probably the best candidate for Tricolored that I've seen in the east, but I still suspect that it's a Red-winged. The red seems rather bright for a Tricolored, and the white isn't all that broad. Still, it would probably be worth sending any photos you can get and ideally a recording of the calls to the Ohio Bird Records Committee, at this link:

http://www.ohiobirds.org/site/committee/rarebird-submission.php

I'm really impressed by this response, Psweet, in light of the fact that this is a photo of a Tricolored taken from the internet without credit.  Most of us, myself included, would probably let our bias that a Tricolored in Ohio is nearly impossible lead us to write this photo off as a RWBL without enough scrutiny. Nice work.

2 people like this

Looking on the Wiki page for Tri-colored Blackbirds too, it seems as though the page was edited today to include this blurb about their range by a user named LadyRUL

While this bird may have been limited to the west coast in the past, it began appearing as far east as the Atlantic coast in 2012 alone or in flocks; and sometimes mixed in flocks of red-winged blackbirds.

Something seems amiss...

1 person likes this

Looking on the Wiki page for Tri-colored Blackbirds too, it seems as though the page was edited today to include this blurb about their range by a user named LadyRUL

While this bird may have been limited to the west coast in the past, it began appearing as far east as the Atlantic coast in 2012 alone or in flocks; and sometimes mixed in flocks of red-winged blackbirds.

Something seems amiss...

Fixed :)

2 people like this

I'm really impressed by this response, Psweet, in light of the fact that this is a photo of a Tricolored taken from the internet without credit.  Most of us, myself included, would probably let our bias that a Tricolored in Ohio is nearly impossible lead us to write this photo off as a RWBL without enough scrutiny. Nice work.

I should have put a bit more scrutiny into it -- this was someone punking us. Check the photo on the Wikipedia page for Tri-colored!

I believe they've actually discovered some small breeding colonies in Oregon and Washington now, though they are extremely localized and just a few pairs in each colony. 

1 person likes this

I should have put a bit more scrutiny into it -- this was someone punking us. Check the photo on the Wikipedia page for Tri-colored!

I realized that! I was giving you credit for not writing it off as a RWBL when it was in fact a prank posting of a real Trike!

Yeah, I figured that out a few minutes too late! Sorry!

And this is why I hate Wikipedia. Anyone can write anything and people just assume it's true.

-Lisa

And this is why I hate Wikipedia. Anyone can write anything and people just assume it's true.

-Lisa

For someone who requested that there be NO editorializing in posts you sure seem to like making comments in the posts.

2 people like this