18 replies to this topic

#1 blacknall

blacknall

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

I have two kinds of birds who have been frequenting our feeders (we feed only suet and sunflower seeds at this point), and I have been unable to identify either one. Both were sighted in mid- to late-April in the Tacoma/Olympia area of Washington. We live near a marshy area with lots of blackberries behind the house, and coniferous forests edging us. We tend to have lots of chickadees, house finches, spotted towhees, dark-eyed juncos, crows/blue jays/Stellar's jays, and red-winged blackbirds.

The first ones are much smaller, like the size of a large chickadee. They are mostly buff, but when they fly the underside of the wings is canary yellow. I was thinking they may be lesser goldfinches, but I'm not convinced. They tend to show up in large flocks with lots of movement and flitting around. They eat straight from the feeders and have absolutely no fear of us. We can get within inches of them.

Attached File  Bird.JPG   106.55KB   112 downloads

The other ones just showed up yesterday. I think they are too large to be a kinglet, because they are about the size of a large sparrow, but they have really similar markings. They have buff to light brown bodies and a dark head that extends down over their eyes. They have a bright yellow stripe in the middle of their heads. They tend to either hang out on the fence and peck at it or forage on the ground. I know the image is crummy, but they caught me by surprise.

Attached File  Bird Flock.JPG   216.68KB   112 downloads

I would appreciate any help in identifying these birds! We keep a list and they have been stumping us. :)

#2 Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

• Moderators
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

1. Pine Siskin
2. White-crowned Sparrows
Raptor - Forum Moderator

"Do not attribute any action to malice that can be explained by stupidity."
"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you by experience."

#3 Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Agree with Pine Siskin. Based on the yellow stripe on the second one, I'm seeing Gold-crowned Sparrow.
Newest lifers: Harris's Sparrow, 311.

#4 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Agree with Sgtmac. Nice birds!

#5 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,979 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Another vote for GCS

Life List: 684

Latest birds:  Hermit Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Pine Grosbeak, Calliope Hummingbird

ABA 2014: 309 species
Virginia 2014: 225
Isle of Wight County 2014: 180 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#6 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Agree with Pine Siskin and Golden-crowned Sparrows. Nice Pine Siskin picture!!

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#7 blacknall

blacknall

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Wow, thank you all so much! That was quick. :) I have a 5-year-old who is obsessed with identifying them and we were scouring the internet but couldn't figure it out. Can anyone recommend a really good bird identification book for us?

#8 Carolina

Carolina

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationCoastal Beaufort SC

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

Nice Pine Siskin picture!!

Seconded!

Life list total~183

One heard only (Eastern Screech-Owl)
Yard list ~ 68

Work list ~ 115 (Office with a view)

Many Many Many Thanks to all here at Whatbird for your help extraordinaire...

#9 blacknall

blacknall

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

Wow, I looked up information on the Golden-Crowned Sparrows, and listened to recordings of their calls. I have been hearing that call from the blackberry bushes all week and it was driving me nuts because I had never heard them before. That solves that mystery. I am sad to see that they are probably on the way up north for the breeding season; hopefully they will stick around a while or come back next year!

In the meantime, I need to get my zoom lens on and keep the camera handy. :)

#10 Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

Wow, thank you all so much! That was quick. :) I have a 5-year-old who is obsessed with identifying them and we were scouring the internet but couldn't figure it out. Can anyone recommend a really good bird identification book for us?

I really like "The Stokes Field Guide to birds of North America" because it shows several actual photographs of each species. "Birds of Washington State" by Bell and Kennedy published by Lone Pine, also serves me well. It lists the best sites to locate each species here in the State. I use both of these books together usually. Sgtmac in Yakima.

#11 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

Welcome to Whatbird! My favorite field guide is "The Sibley Guide to Birds of North America", because it have multiple illustrations of each species showing them in the different plumages, etc., and it comes in smaller Eastern and Western versions, too. That one is arranged based on the taxonomy of the birds, which I like because it helps me learn more than just identification, but it can be confusing when you're starting out because closely related species often look very different from one another. Some guides are organized by the color of the bird, which I haven't tried, so you might want to think about one of those - there can be some confusion because of color differences between males and females of the same species, though, since they can look pretty different from one another (I imagine that they're placed in different color sections of the guide? If anyone could enlighten me on this, please do!).

One thing that I'd suggest as well is thinking about participating in some citizen science projects - there are several different projects at the moment through the Cornell Lab of Ornithology that are easy to participate in and often very kid-friendly. They provide identification help and detailed instructions of what to do, and can be a lot of fun. Check some out, for sure - here's a link to the page:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/citsci/

#12 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

If kids are involved you might consider the Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America. At the front of the book the table of contents has pictures of the various broad types of birds. New birders often complain that, when trying to find something in a field guide, they need to know the general type of bird and so they give up. What seems obvious to more seasoned birders ("it's some kind of Heron or Egret," "a Jay of some kind," etc.) is not at all obvious to someone new. Kenn Kaufman is highly competent and deserves to be in the running with Sibley and Stokes.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#13 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

Some guides are organized by the color of the bird, which I haven't tried, so you might want to think about one of those - there can be some confusion because of color differences between males and females of the same species, though, since they can look pretty different from one another (I imagine that they're placed in different color sections of the guide? If anyone could enlighten me on this, please do!).

The first field guide I bought when I moved to Utah was Stan Tekiela's Birds of Utah. It is one of those arranged by color, which is quite a novel approach and works well. Yes, the males and females are in different color sections if that's appropriate, with a little inset of the other sex with its page #. I don't use it so much now that I've "graduated" to Sibley's, Stokes, and Kaufman, since they are more comprehensive, but Tekiela's books are great for beginners.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#14 blacknall

blacknall

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thank you all for the help! I will be sure to check out the book recommendations. Our feeders are just exploding; today we had some mountain chickadees and a downey woodpecker show up and my flock of golden-crowned sparrows came back. There are three of them that like to come hang out and poke around in all my potted plants. I am about to put out some millet and hummingbird feeders (I have some Anna's hanging around) to see what else we can attract. Not too bad for a yard the size of a postage stamp. :)

Attached Files

#15 Desertthorn

Desertthorn

Desertthorn

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Have you taken your son out to the Nisqually NWR, its a bird haven out there. They also have lots of books about birding for all age groups and some pretty knowledgeable folks to talk to.

#16 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

like Pat B. i used the Stan Tekiela book but mine was Birds of Colorado. He does not list all the birds in the state but does show most of the everyday ones. and i like the color index also since then i have accumulated a variety of others and each have good points and bad features.
But being mainly a back yard viewer i often try for photos and compare them to several good web sites such as Cornell Labs and Audabon
and national geographic

#17 Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Have you taken your son out to the Nisqually NWR, its a bird haven out there. They also have lots of books about birding for all age groups and some pretty knowledgeable folks to talk to.

Excellent suggestion Desertthorn. I love that place. I make it a point to go there when I come to that side of the mountains to visit family (birds),Mac.

#18 ceylon

ceylon

ceylon

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Your last picture of the gold crowned sparrow was brilliant.
New birds 2014. Western Meadowlark-juvenile, Bullock's Oriole, Black-chinned hummingbird, Red-naped Sapsucker, Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Vesper Sparrow, Horned Lark, Eared Grebe, Wilson's Phalarope, Swainson's Hawk, Burrowing Owl, Bank Swallow, Cliff Swallow,

<p>My "best" lifers; Golden Eagle and Crested Mynah.New birds 2013; Red Flanked Bluetail (Queen's Park, New Westminster Jan 15, 2013), Gyrfalcon (Hastings Park/Viterra building near Second Narrows, Jan 26, 2013), Brambling (Laurel/17th Feb 5th/2013), Red-naped Sapsucker (west side of Fraserview golf course, in lane by 7878 Vivian, Apr 5/2013). Sora (pond at Colony Farm April 8/13). Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Col Farm May 26/13). Lazuli Bunting and WETA May 2013 Col Farm).New birds 2012; Black throated gray warbler, Cassin's vireo, (Hammond's Flycatcher,Chipping Sparrow were id'd at bird banding station), Vaux Swift, Cliff Swallow, Dowitcher, Merlin, Peregrine, Eastern Kingbird, Spotted Sandpiper, YHBB, Caspian Tern, Purple Martin, Warbling Vireo, Western Tanager.

#19 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Your last picture of the gold crowned sparrow was brilliant.

Agreed!
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users