#1 MarkBird

MarkBird

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSaint Petersburg, FL

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Finally working through pictures from a Kauai trip. Thanks for helping confirm these from various locations on the island.

All pictures are different birds.

#1-#3 White-rumped shamas? First two were together near Queen's Bath. Third is in the coffee plantation.
[attachment=97284:Kauai_1_April.JPG]
[attachment=97285:Kauai_2_April.JPG]
[attachment=97286:Kauai_3_April.JPG]

#4-5 Mockingbirds. I think that they're just red from the clay there?
[attachment=97287:Kauai_4_April.JPG]
[attachment=97290:Kauai_5_April.JPG]

#6 House finch - just double checking. Coffee plantation.
[attachment=97291:Kauai_6_April.JPG]

Thank you.

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Those are the best IDs I could come up with using my Birds of Hawaii and the Tropical Pacific. Not positive on a couple of them.

#3 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

Are all three birds in set 1 the same bird? If so, then yes, a White-rumped Shama. The rest seem correct to me.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#4 MarkBird

MarkBird

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSaint Petersburg, FL

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Are all three birds in set 1 the same bird? If so, then yes, a White-rumped Shama. The rest seem correct to me.

Liam, no, all three pictures #1-#3 are of different birds.

#5 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

I was going to ask if there was a Hawaii expert on Whatbird. I have a front half of a bird we saw in Kauai in the gardens near the thunder hole that I guessed might also be a female white-rumped Shama based on the colors and the light spot over the eye, but really am not sure. I would also like an ID. My picture is here: Posted Image

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#6 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

Sure looks like one. The size and shape of the bill and pink legs look like shama. I'm only as much of an expert as my copy of Birds of Hawaii and the Tropical Pacific lets me be!

#7 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

Both Markbird's and mine? I'm sorry, I guess I should have posted separate but thought if this was the same bird we'd get a joint ID.

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#8 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

Yes, your bird. But as I said, I'm no expert, just looking in my book!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users