• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vibriologist

vibriologist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Eureka! I think I finally got it! I have spent an embarrassingly large amount of time, energy, and money on trying to deter squirrels from my back yard bird feeders (in Baton Rouge, LA), and I think I finally have a solution! I have tried to spell out as much detail in the image below so that you can do it too! This is my first time ever starting a topic or forum or what not, so I hope this works! Also, if you have any further ideas or ways to improve on this idea, I'm all ears!!! Thanks for reading.

Crystal

Attached Files

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Good info there! Welcome to WhatBird!
Creationist Birder

#3 cabirds

cabirds

cabirds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Welcome!

I found if you grease the metal poles with lithium or even axle grease, it'll keep the squirrels from climbing them. My squirrels will chew through hardware cloth in a day or two. I moved my pole out into the middle of the yard > 10ft from any tree to keep the leapy-things away from playing "flying squirrel" too. :) That seems to have resolved the problem for 6+ months now.
--- Jodie in Sacramento

Visit my Photo Gallery of California Birds at: Temporarily Unavailable

#4 Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

Inzl Kett

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Axle grease I find is pretty smelly. It would keep me away from the area too! Something you might try if you have more than one tree in your yard or tall poles is run a cable run across the yard and suspend the feeder in the middle. Before you affix the cables, put one liter size plastic bottles, at least two in a row on either side of the feeder, running the cable through them from bottom to opening. They will spin when the squirrel climb on them and cause the critters to fall off the cable before they can get to the feeder.

#5 lonestranger

lonestranger

lonestranger

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationActon, Ontario

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I found the best way to keep squirrels out of my bird feeders, is to feed them elsewhere. I buy 50 pound bags of cracked corn for $7 and put it out around the yard for the squirrels, chipmunks, and whatever ground feeding birds that want it. The only time the squirrels bother with the bird feeders now, is when there's no corn found elsewhere. I also have a few feeder poles surrounded with 6 inch duct pipe which works pretty good at preventing the squirrels and raccoons from getting up to the feeders.

Recently(July 5/14)added some new photos to my Picasa Web Album.

http://picasaweb.goo...Ai6G4wenXZD7ClQ

#6 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

I also feed squirrels corn. . . but some have taking a liking to the bird seed still. Only have about two squirrels that come to my feeders in a day.

(I might try some of those ideas. . . if I can get to lowes)

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#7 possumbird

possumbird

possumbird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSE Arkansas

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

We never had problems with squirrels until we started feeding them corn this past winter. Now, when I run out of corn they eat birdseed. I hang my feeders from an old metal swingset frame. My husband and I even went so far as to move the swingset and cut low hanging limbs to deter the squirrels but that didn't work. I guess I'll have to get use to my new furry species of bird :[

#8 teresatork

teresatork

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWitchita, Kansas

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

At my house, if the squirrels are getting to the birdfeeders, we just let the dog outside.

Life list 158 and counting!  ;)

The "five-second rule" is totally fake. Seriously, people? :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: squirrel, back yard bird feeder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users