8 replies to this topic

#1 Davis Bruce

Davis Bruce

Davis Bruce

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

Is there a book with all the birds of the world in it? You can find them for mammels, insects, etc., but I haven't found one for birds.

#2 Desertthorn

Desertthorn

Desertthorn

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Did you check Amazon, They list a few, but I'm not sure they are complete and comprehensive.

#3 Davis Bruce

Davis Bruce

Davis Bruce

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, I looked on Amazon. They didn't look complete.

#4 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

Northern and Central California birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Are any of these complete? I thought they were mostly just coffee table books.

Lifelist: 240
Latest lifer: Wrentit
I support Ebird.com & the North American Bird Phenology Program!

#5 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

With over 10,000 species of bird in the world I doubt you will find a single book that covers them all. There are books with checklists of the birds of the world but I don't think you'll ever find a field guide type book of all the birds of the world. If you're looking for a book on bird families of the world then The National Geographic Complete Birds of the World may be right up your alley. You might be able to get it pretty cheap too, I got mine at Borders for 3.99 a few months before they closed.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Sooty Grouse, Great Gray Owl: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Calliope Hummingbird, Evening Grosbeak: Niagara Creek Campgrounds, Tuolumne County, CA 8/4/14

Northern Goshawk: Eagle Meadow, Tuolumne County, CA, 8/4

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Short-billed Dowitcher: Ceres Wastewater Treatment Facility, Cere, CA, 8/20/14

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Peregrine Falcon, Black Tern, Bank Swallow: Modesto Wastewater treatment Facility, Modesto, CA, 8/10/14

Mountain Quail: Hwy 108 at Cow Creek, Tulomne County, CA, 8/4/14

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

#6 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,721 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

If you're looking for a book on bird families of the world then The National Geographic Complete Birds of the World may be right up your alley.

I got this book for a bday, and really like it. It is nice to learn what the families are like. There aren't a lot of pictures, one or two each page. So mostly reading. Over all it is an awesome book and I would recommend it!

ABA list: 443 Latest- Black Swift
Yearlist: 382 Latest- Black Swift
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#7 slashpot

slashpot

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationQueensland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

By far the best publication of the kind (and the only one that I know of) is the 'HBW', 'Handbook of Birds of the world', published by Lynx Edicions, http://www.lynxeds.com/catalog/hbw
This has illustrations for all ten thousand as well as full species accounts, the lot, but as you might expect it requires 16 big ol' volumes, each with the hefty price tag of over 200 Euros (which I think is around fifty thousand US dollars these days). Of course if you're lucky enough to be one of the fortunate souls able to make such a purchase you're in even more luck as they just published the final volume (Tanagers to Icterids) and you can pick up the whole 'book' for only 2688 Euros (about 3 million US).
Oh, and when you send for your set, could I just get you to send me a set too?
Good luck!

#8 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

And then you also have to move into a bigger house.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Sooty Grouse, Great Gray Owl: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Calliope Hummingbird, Evening Grosbeak: Niagara Creek Campgrounds, Tuolumne County, CA 8/4/14

Northern Goshawk: Eagle Meadow, Tuolumne County, CA, 8/4

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Short-billed Dowitcher: Ceres Wastewater Treatment Facility, Cere, CA, 8/20/14

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Peregrine Falcon, Black Tern, Bank Swallow: Modesto Wastewater treatment Facility, Modesto, CA, 8/10/14

Mountain Quail: Hwy 108 at Cow Creek, Tulomne County, CA, 8/4/14

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

#9 Davis Bruce

Davis Bruce

Davis Bruce

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users