ellooo_013

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

Las Vegas, Nevada
5/01/2012
Early afternoon

Twice today, my mom saw a small brown bird perched on top of our neighbor's house.
I didn't see it myself, but she said it was about the same shape and size of a house finch. She said there was a patch of red atop its head and it had a small, narrow beak.

All I could find that even came close to matching her description were the House Finch, the Hoary Redpoll and the Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, but I'm not sure if those are correct. I was hoping to find something that was more brown in color with only a little red on its head. I'm pretty sure I've seen something like that, but I can't quite place it.
I can ask for more details if needed.
Please help! She really wants to know. Thank you in advance :)

Sorry I don't have a photo to show, it flew away when I walked toward the window.

#2 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

TO be honest, only House Finch or Cassin's Finch come to mind, Cassin's is within range for LV. Any Redpoll would be extremely unlikely--and that would be in the dead of winter. At this time of year would be impossible. I'd rule out RC Kinglet- they don't look brown and they don't just "sit there" perched, especially on a roof (they're very active). If your mother knows House Finches well and is sure it's not one, try Cassin's ?
"I'm not a Colonel"

#3 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,071 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Possibly a Chipping Sparrow?

#4 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,470 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

...it was about the same shape and size of a house finch. She said there was a patch of red atop its head and it had a small, narrow beak.

This does sound a lot like a Cassin's Finch. Bob Steele has some great photos on his page: http://www.bobsteele...ecies/cafi.html

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#5 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

this is a cassins finch from my backyard two weeks ago. they do vary with how big red sploch on head and a light pink on chest and the off white belly with no streaksPosted Image

#6 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

You used the word "crown," which should rule out House Finch, which has lots of red, including the forehead, but not the crown, which is brown. So, maybe a Cassin's.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Identification, red crowned, small beak, brown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users