Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ellooo_013

Brown bird, red crown? Need help identifying

6 posts in this topic

Las Vegas, Nevada

5/01/2012

Early afternoon

Twice today, my mom saw a small brown bird perched on top of our neighbor's house.

I didn't see it myself, but she said it was about the same shape and size of a house finch. She said there was a patch of red atop its head and it had a small, narrow beak.

All I could find that even came close to matching her description were the House Finch, the Hoary Redpoll and the Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, but I'm not sure if those are correct. I was hoping to find something that was more brown in color with only a little red on its head. I'm pretty sure I've seen something like that, but I can't quite place it.

I can ask for more details if needed.

Please help! She really wants to know. Thank you in advance :)

Sorry I don't have a photo to show, it flew away when I walked toward the window.

TO be honest, only House Finch or Cassin's Finch come to mind, Cassin's is within range for LV. Any Redpoll would be extremely unlikely--and that would be in the dead of winter. At this time of year would be impossible. I'd rule out RC Kinglet- they don't look brown and they don't just "sit there" perched, especially on a roof (they're very active). If your mother knows House Finches well and is sure it's not one, try Cassin's ?

this is a cassins finch from my backyard two weeks ago. they do vary with how big red sploch on head and a light pink on chest and the off white belly with no streaksspringcassinsfinch.jpg

You used the word "crown," which should rule out House Finch, which has lots of red, including the forehead, but not the crown, which is brown. So, maybe a Cassin's.