• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 danelboones

danelboones

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

We are in Pierre South Dakota. This picture was taken today 5/2/12.

We are thinking it is a Orchard or Baltimore Oriole but the beak seems much larger than in our "Birds of the Dakota's" book.
I just found this site while trying to identify it. First post. Thanks for any help in advance!

Attached File  IMG_0345.JPG   1.54MB   45 downloads

#2 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

definately a male blackheaded grosbeak. i got my first of the spring season this week.

#3 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Agree with Black-headed Grosbeak. Still waiting for mine.

You were right to question the bill. "Gros" is a clue to the fact that a Grosbeak has a big bill. Orioles' bills are much thinner and sharper.

Try feeding the Grosbeak grape jelly in a little dish. When I put it out for the Orioles, the Grosbeaks love it. I buy a big jar of the cheap stuff for the birds. A local birder/birding store owner told me that they prefer purple (grape) jelly to any that are red.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#4 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

i did an expermrnt last summer putting out two different jelly feeders. One with Grape and the other with Strawberry. the first thing i've learned is they all prefer Jam over jelly. But also indivudual birds have different tastes as the grosbeaks and tanagers and the house finches ate more grape and the woodpeckers and orioles and magpies ate more of the strawberry jam. I too get the store brands of jam in the large jars and they eat the generic as good as they do the brand names.

#5 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

i did an expermrnt last summer putting out two different jelly feeders. One with Grape and the other with Strawberry. the first thing i've learned is they all prefer Jam over jelly.

Well, jam is better, but I didn't know the birds knew that. I will try it if anyone ever shows up.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#6 Hopsing129

Hopsing129

Hopsing129

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationHolliday Texas

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

What kind of feeder do you use for that?? We have orioles that I'd like to bring in closer (Baltimore and Bullock's).

Life List: #405
2012 List: #240
2013 List: #290

2014 List: #242
Lifer #200: American Redstart Lifer   #250: Common Gallinule Lifer  #300: Lewis's Woodpecker  #350: Bell's Vireo
Last Three: Banded Wren, Rufous-capped Warbler, Turquoise-browed Motmot

#7 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

this is a homemade platform with a screw up thru the bottPosted Imageon to screw a plastic lid down on

#8 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

What kind of feeder do you use for that?? We have orioles that I'd like to bring in closer (Baltimore and Bullock's).

The bird store had an Oriole feeder that had a hole drilled in it to hold a glass bowl - about the size of one of those Pyrex "custard cups" (I'm probably dating myself here). Also on this feeder are spikes on which to impale orange halves. I got a fair number of wasps in the jelly bowl, though.

I also bought an Oriole feeder which is about like a Hummingbird feeder but probably has bigger holes & it has little indentations to hold jelly (see photo). These did not work well - holders don't hold enough & everything spills & the birds poop in it.

Posted Image

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

#9 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

i also have a saucer type oriole feeder but it did not work well either. another made one is a piece of 2x6 with a plastic lid screwed down on it and hung with nylon stringsPosted Image

#10 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

dk - just the other day I telling my husband about all your great homemade feeders. You are so resourceful & creative!

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

#11 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

this is a store bought one from the farm supply. it has a plastic screw on jar but also the small store bought jelly jars fit it too. some orioles like it but the perching type birds don't use it muchPosted Image

#12 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Can someone please come teach my orioles to use feeders? I've tried orange halves, jelly bowls, and nectar feeders, but they just fly right over them :(

#13 BigOly

BigOly

NoBadDaysBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Black-headed Grosbeaks love sunflower seeds.

Posted Image

#14 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

the blackheaded grosbeaks here eat almost anything from seeds and grains and fruit and jelly, nuts and love watermelon and cantalopePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users