#1 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSouth-central Illinois

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

By spark bird I mean the bird that got you into the birding hobby. I think most people have a bird that they did not know, or that they really wanted to see, that got them started. I think it would be fun to hear what got everyone into this crazy passtime and why.

As for me it was the Dickcissel. I was driving home from work one morning and I saw a bird sitting on a powerline that I had not seen before. It was colored like a Meadowlark and shaped like a Sparrow. I thought I knew about the wildlife in my area and wanted to know what this bird I did not know was. I got on the internet and found the Illinois Birder's Forum. Quickly I realized that I did not know even half the birds that come through my area. That was the spark that led me to where I am today.

I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

#2 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

This picture right here. I've been doing nature photography for a long time, including birds. Most of the common birds I knew, and ones I didn't, it didn't bother me too much. Then I saw this bird and thought "What in the HECK is that?!" My sister helped me look online and we finally figured it out. I think that's what started me down the path of really wanting to know what the different birds are, and not seeing them as just photography subjects.

Posted Image
Yellow Shafted Flicker by midgetinvasion, on Flickr

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#3 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

i was born on a farm way out in the sticks. We always had lots of domestic birds such as chickens and ducks and turkeys and geese. and in later years quail and pheasants and guinea hens and chuckers and just about anything else we could find. we also made pets out of magpies and jays and fed bluebirds and doves and everything else that would come to eat. i can not remember not having birds around. when i lived in towns i had parakeets and parrots and caged finches and mynah birds. now i'm retired and have a backyard with dozens of feeders and plants and flowers and shrubs and trees.

#4 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

I didn't have one particular bird. My father was really an outdoorsman, and got me interested in wildlife in general. I can't remember when I first started identifying birds, but I was already birding by the first time we went to Hawaii, when I was 7. I remember seeing a Brazilian cardinal (now called the red-crested cardinal), and looking for nene geese. I also saw great frigatebirds. My mother grew up in Hawaii, and had read about "seagulls" in stories, so she called frigatebirds seagulls because that was the only bird she ever really saw at the beach!

The following year we went out west in an RV for a couple of weeks, then the next year we went to Florida for spring vacation. Going to the Everglades pretty much finished me off as a birder!!

#5 horseface

horseface

Horseface

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Baltimore Oriole when I was little. It was the point when birds stopped being "birds" and became all different species to me. Got me thinking what else is out there.

#6 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,275 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Mine was a Northern Flicker also. . . just thought they were so cool. Still do.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#7 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

Mississippi Kite! :lol:

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#8 Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

Southerncowgirlkim

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Anhinga when I first moved to Florida! :)

#9 NatureLady

NatureLady

NatureLady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

My husband got a Nikon D3100 because I was just taking scenic pictures with a Sanyo point and shoot and I'd always get blurry pictures. Then he bought the Nikon and started taking pictures of birds and the bird that got him really interested was a juvenile American Robin. But for me, it took me a few more months to really get into the birding and then I was hooked. Not any particular bird but I did get really excited about going to Florida on our honeymoon; we did so much birding down there. Almost everyday birding!!

Life List~444
Latest Lifer~Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Bobolink, Groove-billed Ani, Cerelean Warbler, Ovenbird, Veery, Northern Bobwhite, Golden-winged Warbler
2012 Big Year List~351
2013 Year List~ 299
BirdingBlog | www.facebook.com/naturalbeautybyedens

#10 Jenny81

Jenny81

Jenny81

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

The bird that got me started was White-throated Sparrow. I was pleased when I found out what it was, so I birded (without keeping track of my observations) for about a year and my "Unknown" folder got big, then I found Whatbird and started using Ebird.

Life list: 158
Yard list: 82 - latest yard bird : Wood Duck
Latest Lifers:  Ring-billed Gull, EVENING GROSBEAK, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Snow Goose, Canada Warbler

#11 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

i was just checking out birding when i went on a trip to Chincateague in the fall and saw a white cheeked pintail

Yard list 142
Bird lifers 374
Birds in Peru 91
Birds in the U.S. 300
Latest- Eastern Whip-poor-will, Golden-winged Warbler, Chuck-will's-widow, Purple Gallinule, Bachman's Sparrow
Butterfly lifers- 78
Latest- Juniper Hairstreak, Appalachian Azure, European Skipper, Dun Skipper, Aphrodite Fritillary

Moth Lifers- 182

Latest- Southern Emerald, Showy Emerald, Virginia Creeper Sphinx, Walnut Sphinx
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 39
Latest- Blue Corporal, Blue-fronted Dancer, Swift Setwing, Autumn Meadowhawk, Blue-ringed Dancer, Slender Bluet
Year list- 252
Latest- Kentucky Warbler

#12 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Captive White-necked Raven for me, eheh. She got me into birds, and after a while I kind of went "Hey, birds are cool, why am I not paying more attention to the wild ones?" and started birding. ^_^

#13 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Black-necked Stilt for me. While at camp, we took a day trip down to Bombay Hook NWR for some photography. Saw my first stilt and thought it was the coolest thing ever!! It's still one of my favorite birds, and whenever I go back to the refuge there's always at least one there, even in winter (when they're not supposed to be there)! :)

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#14 Shoveler26

Shoveler26

2014 IN Big year

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Evening Grosbeak for me I have never seen one but have ALWASE wanted to see one. Now they are Very Rare in the state but when I was growing up in IN they were abundant.

My Recent Lifers: Black-billed cuckoo,Black bellied Whistling duck, Olive Sided flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, Worm-Eating Warbler, Eurasian Wigeon, Brewer's Blackbird, Scissor Tailed Flycatcher- All seen in Indiana this year. 

My Recent FOY's: Least Bittern, Philadelphia Vireo, Golden Winged Warbler, Mourning Warbler, Yellow billed Cuckoo, Black throated Blue Warbler, Black Bellied Plover, Acadian Flycatcher.

My Yearlist for Indiana: 250

My life list: 322

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...os/83809814@N06

#15 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Baltimore Oriole when I was little. It was the point when birds stopped being "birds" and became all different species to me. Got me thinking what else is out there.

Horsecheeks, nice to see you posting again, amigo. Funny you should mention an oriole, mine was an oriole as well. They can be exceptionally striking birds.

The one I saw was a male Hooded Oriole (in southern California). When I first tried to I.D. it, thought it was Bullock's... but that turned out to be bollocks
"I'm not a Colonel"

#16 guy_incognito

guy_incognito

guy_incognito

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Tough call, but one of the birds that has always been a most wanted for me is the Western Tanager. My mom knew about this bird before I was into birding, and we would look out for them at our house. Getting a decent camera is what jump-started my birding interest, so in a way trying to photograph a Western Tanager was one of my earliest birding motivations.

Here is a picture I just got this morning, probably my best yet of a Western Tanager.
Posted Image

Latest lifers: Blue-winged Warbler, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Chestnut-collared Longspur, McCown's Longspur, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Brown-capped Rosy-Finch, White-tailed Ptarmigan, Pine Grosbeak, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Smith's Longspur, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch

Trip reports: Colorado 6/2014, Costa Rica 3/2014, Texas 12/2013, Central CA 8/2013, Arizona 6/2013, Midwest 5/2013, Hawaii 2/2013, Florida 9-10/2012, Monterey 8/2012, Salton Sea 7/2012, SE AZ 6/2012, Chicago 5/2012, Arizona 3/12, Arizona 12/11, Chicago 9/2011, Monterey 8/11, Arizona 12/10

#17 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

I've looked at this thread several times and resolved to try to remember if I had a "spark" bird. You know, I don't think I did. My mother was a birder way back in the early 1950s in So. Calif., so I pretty much grew up with it: constantly hearing her point out something in the back yard or on any family vacation we took. After I left home, I don't think I did anything on my own until I lived for a couple of years in Newport Beach, CA, right above the Back Bay, which is a wetlands area. I took walks there every day and tried to ID every shore and water bird I saw. After I moved from there I'd start and stop birding over the years. Then I moved to Utah 5 years ago and found myself living less than a half hour from so many fabulous birding spots and I was hooked.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#18 Kallpayoq

Kallpayoq

Kallpayoq

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

When seeing a male Northern Cardinal after moving to Michigan from the West Coast.

#19 jblakelock

jblakelock

jblakelock

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationPleasant Hill, CA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

I remember being stricken with the Kingfisher picture from our set of Encyclopedias when I was ten. Kinda of forgot about it until twenty years later when a coworker told me about seeing Kingfishers in the area. I was determined to find one, and couple weeks later saw my first Kingfisher at Chincoteague NWR.
Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake - Wallace Stevens

#20 Clip

Clip

Still Just a Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • LocationCentennial, CO

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Mine was more a series of sightings. It probably really began when I saw a woodpecker of some sort. I have lived in Colorado my whole life and I had not seen one. Then an owl landed on the eave over our garage and right outside our bedroom window one night. I was awaken by WHO......WHO. It sound like a person in our bedroom. I finally mustard the nerve to get up and look. Mind you I live in a suburb so I considered this very cool and unusual. We started feeding birds shortly after this in our backyard and bought a book called Birds of Colorado, Field Guide by Stan Tekiela. Then the real kicker my husband took me up to Barr Lake State Park, Brighton, Colorado and we saw I bunch of birds neither of us had seen before including a Bullocks Oriole. Hooked at this point for sure. Barr State Park is still my favorite bird watching place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users