5 replies to this topic

#1 johnd

johnd

johnd

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

Is $550.00 a good price for a Nikon D3100 which Includes 3x 18-55mm Zoom-NIKKOR VR Image Stabilization Lens ?

Its a store price.

#2 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Location1000 Islands area, Ontario Canada

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

If you Google a few online sites like B&H Photo and Amazon you would get some idea.
While buying local may be more expensive it is always very good to try out a camera in your own hands before buying.

#3 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

I was nice and checked all the sites for you. B&H, Amazon, and Adorama all have it for $546 right now, so looks like that's what you're going to pay for brand new.

If you don't mind refurbished, Adorama had one for $420.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#4 NatureLady

NatureLady

NatureLady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Wow they haven't gone down in price much! We bought our D3100 last May for 600 bucks! Nice camera though!!

Life List~444
Latest Lifer~Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Bobolink, Groove-billed Ani, Cerelean Warbler, Ovenbird, Veery, Northern Bobwhite, Golden-winged Warbler
2012 Big Year List~351
2013 Year List~ 299
BirdingBlog | www.facebook.com/naturalbeautybyedens

#5 mschelly

mschelly

mschelly

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

We got one, too, in Sept 2011. We went to a local photo shop (Cardinal) and since we were at the shop (not on-line), we were able to get just the body (without the lens) and bought a Tamron 18-270mm zoom, f 3.5-6.3 with auto focus and image stabilization. Since we hand-hold alomost all our shots, we really never need to change lenses. That not only saves the money, it also saves the trouble of changing them, juggling the parts, the weight carrying them around, the risk of dust or dirt, etc. The camera, spare battery, charger, and chips fit in a smaller bag, the size of those old lunch boxes. Definitely a great decision.
Also, be aware that for almost any good camera nowadays you will likely either be recommended or required to use a "Class 10" photo chip, especially if you want to use the video function on the camera. Not only is that chip expensive ($60 for 8 GB), but it might not work on older computers, like when you want to pop it into your computer to upload your photos. I have to upload them at work or on our new laptop and then to a flash drive and then to the main/archive computer. Some people might need to use that as an excuse to get a new computer. Fun.

#6 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

I have a Nikon D3100 I love it here are two of my albums http://www.whatbird....her-than-birds/
http://www.whatbird....ulas-new-birds/

Yard list 142
Bird lifers 374
Birds in Peru 91
Birds in the U.S. 300
Latest- Eastern Whip-poor-will, Golden-winged Warbler, Chuck-will's-widow, Purple Gallinule, Bachman's Sparrow
Butterfly lifers- 78
Latest- Juniper Hairstreak, Appalachian Azure, European Skipper, Dun Skipper, Aphrodite Fritillary

Moth Lifers- 182

Latest- Southern Emerald, Showy Emerald, Virginia Creeper Sphinx, Walnut Sphinx
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 39
Latest- Blue Corporal, Blue-fronted Dancer, Swift Setwing, Autumn Meadowhawk, Blue-ringed Dancer, Slender Bluet
Year list- 252
Latest- Kentucky Warbler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users