#1 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hi all.  Here are the birds I saw today while working my Wisconsin summer job.  As I've said in previous posts, it is a pleasure to see all these beautiful birds while working in the field.  I have more photos of most of these if they are needed.

#1 (lifer) - Heard it before I saw it.
Posted Image

#2 (lifer) - Beautiful.  Bird of the day for me for sure even though I know they're common around here.  Saw four of them on the small lake I was working on.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 - Just making sure.
Posted Image

#4 - Again just making sure
Posted Image

#5 (lifer) - Best shot I could get!  They really didn't want me to get close.
Posted Image

#6 - This one had me stumped in the field because it was so far up and I hadn't learned their call yet.  I think I have the ID now though.
Posted Image

As always, click the spoiler tags below to see what I think (don't want to bias you before you decide).  Thanks in advance!

Spoiler

#2 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13996 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Looks like you nailed all of the ID's.

#3 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20735 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

I agree with your IDs. Great stuff here!

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#4 NatureLady

NatureLady

NatureLady

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

great photos!!

Life List~444
Latest Lifer~Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Bobolink, Groove-billed Ani, Cerelean Warbler, Ovenbird, Veery, Northern Bobwhite, Golden-winged Warbler
2012 Big Year List~351
2013 Year List~ 299
BirdingBlog | www.facebook.com/naturalbeautybyedens

#5 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thanks so much guys!

I agree with your IDs. Great stuff here!

Trying to get the most out of our mutual lens. I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in your shots when you get your new set-up. Since I know your photography pretty well now, I'll be able to see how much difference there is between the D70/Sigma70-300mm and the new gear. Of course, then it will make me want to upgrade even more despite not having the money!

#6 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20735 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thanks so much guys!

Trying to get the most out of our mutual lens. I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in your shots when you get your new set-up. Since I know your photography pretty well now, I'll be able to see how much difference there is between the D70/Sigma70-300mm and the new gear. Of course, then it will make me want to upgrade even more despite not having the money!

Keep looking. I'll be selling my equipment as soon as migration cools down (won't be able to get the lens for a while, so I need a telephoto now for migration). I'm sure you read my review on the lens?

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog

#7 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Keep looking. I'll be selling my equipment as soon as migration cools down (won't be able to get the lens for a while, so I need a telephoto now for migration). I'm sure you read my review on the lens?

Yes I read it after the post on Facebook. I thought it was pretty funny how close our opinions on the lens are (though I haven't had my autofocus crap out on me yet!).

As I said on Facebook though, I still like what the lens' deficiencies have taught me (ie. how to get closer to birds, how to use my camera to the best of its ability, how to manual focus and still get good shots, how to do quality post-processing, etc).

#8 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20735 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

I agree; the lens is great for learning how to use a DSLR with a telephoto. Having a bad lens has helped me master manual-focus and other difficulties. I think my lens just had a really messed up focus motor or something, since it crapped out three times. Other than the faulty autofocus, it's a pretty good entry-level lens for beginners.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users