#1 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

I'm planning a trip to Acadia and Baxter State Park in mid-july. Any recommendations for birding at the sites or nearby? Also, I'll be driving from DC and looking for a spot or two to stop on the way (prefably mid-pointish).

Any help is appreciated!

Life List: 687

Latest birds:  Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Piping Plover, Sooty Grouse

ABA 2014: 315 species
Virginia 2014: 236
Isle of Wight County 2014: 182 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#2 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

Um, take me with you?

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 179

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 144

#3 Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationMaine Coast...

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:58 AM

Newport Rhode Island has some nice spots ~ I like Sachuest Point NWR. Brenton Point State Park is also really nice. It has some nice trails and great spots along the ocean. I was a park ranger there for a couple years....

Cape Cod National Seashore~ many great places to bird there. In Provincetown there is Race Point (NWR) which has miles of trails that run through the sand dunes which are forested by conifers. Lots of bird activity and as an added attraction at the head of Race Point (top of the dunes) it is very common to see whales (humpbacks, fins, sei etc) along with dolphins. Usually they are close enough that no binoculars are needed!

Acadia National park is our back yard~ In July the section of the park that most people visit will be packed. It still is an enjoyable place to be out doors~great spots for birding throughout the park. If you want a less people place Schoodic Peninsula is only about 45 minutes drive from Mt Desert Island (Acadia/Bar Harbor). It is called the " Quietside" of Acadia. Nice trails that run through a thickly forested landscape and along the ocean.

There are other areas not too far that are equally nice~Moosehorn NWR is about an hours drive from Schoodic Peninsula...

Anyway it sounds like you'll have a full and exciting trip. Enjoy!!

#4 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Newport Rhode Island has some nice spots ~ I like Sachuest Point NWR. Brenton Point State Park is also really nice. It has some nice trails and great spots along the ocean. I was a park ranger there for a couple years....

Cape Cod National Seashore~ many great places to bird there. In Provincetown there is Race Point (NWR) which has miles of trails that run through the sand dunes which are forested by conifers. Lots of bird activity and as an added attraction at the head of Race Point (top of the dunes) it is very common to see whales (humpbacks, fins, sei etc) along with dolphins. Usually they are close enough that no binoculars are needed!

Acadia National park is our back yard~ In July the section of the park that most people visit will be packed. It still is an enjoyable place to be out doors~great spots for birding throughout the park. If you want a less people place Schoodic Peninsula is only about 45 minutes drive from Mt Desert Island (Acadia/Bar Harbor). It is called the " Quietside" of Acadia. Nice trails that run through a thickly forested landscape and along the ocean.

There are other areas not too far that are equally nice~Moosehorn NWR is about an hours drive from Schoodic Peninsula...

Anyway it sounds like you'll have a full and exciting trip. Enjoy!!

Thanks to much! I'll definitely be using your advice on my trip :)

Life List: 687

Latest birds:  Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Piping Plover, Sooty Grouse

ABA 2014: 315 species
Virginia 2014: 236
Isle of Wight County 2014: 182 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#5 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

I can agree 100% with Sachuest Point. Stupid close views of white-tailed deer, if you're into that thing. And I mean stupid close...we had plenty within 10 feet of us.

#6 Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationMaine Coast...

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I haven't lived in RI for more than 25 years so I don't know if things have changed but Sachuest Point used to be a spot
where Snowy Owls would visit. Every winter through early spring you could plan an outing to see them and they would not disappoint. Usually about 8 owls would hang out. They were quite easy to spot with the little snow on all brown vegetation....

#7 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

I haven't lived in RI for more than 25 years so I don't know if things have changed but Sachuest Point used to be a spot
where Snowy Owls would visit. Every winter through early spring you could plan an outing to see them and they would not disappoint. Usually about 8 owls would hang out. They were quite easy to spot with the little snow on all brown vegetation....

Yep, last winter along with the stupid close deer, there was one snowy that hung out on the massive rock all winter long. Not sure if multiples were ever there, and the one didn't provide good views, but it was there.

My only trip was in the winter so I can't comment on the summer bird activity, but it definitely didn't disappoint in the winter.

Posted Image

#8 Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationMaine Coast...

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

Joe have you been to Crane Beach/Plum island up in Ipswich Ma? Used to be there were herds of white tails there. Not sure anymore as I don't get there too often...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users