Photo
- - - - -

Where is the best place to put your suet cage?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sailormom64

sailormom64

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hello, I have two suet cages, and have had chickadees, tufted titmice, house finches, mourning doves, as well as others, and it is placed in the middle of my backyard, not far from tree branches and couple shrubs for easy get aways. I haven't seen any woodpeckers there though, and the suet I chose had ingredients that were supposed to draw woodpeckers. I know we have them all around the area, I can hear them, and caught a glimpse of one with some red on its head (could not tell any other defining details, as it was very fast). So I am just wondering if I should move my feeders closer to the edge of the property where the yard ends and woods begin? Just curious if mine are just placed too far away from the wooded area. Or, are woodpeckers shy? All the other birds love love love the suet feeders, and maybe the woodpeckers just can't get the chance!

#2 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

In my experience, most of the time, it's the woodpeckers scaring the other birds away, not the other way around. I have two suet feeders, one in the middle of my front yard, and one by the treeline in the backyard. The red bellied have been more likely to visit the one by the trees, the one in the front yard gets the downy woodpeckers, mockingbirds, and catbirds. Both suet blocks get tons of chickadees and tufted titmice.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#3 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Our woodpeckers are not shy, but they rarely come other than winter. It might just be the time of year. They have plenty of natural sources. We'll see an occasional one in a tree, but that's it until it gets cold again.

I am guessing your suet hangs from something like a shepherd's hook?? Woodpeckers can use them and will do some acrobatics to get to the food, but our greatest success is when we have something for the woodpeckers to brace against. Because we do not have a squirrel issue at this time, we put a nail in the tree and hung the suet feeder there. We also had peanuts in our platform feeder that Flickers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers would eat. We don't get Red-headed Woodpeckers or Pileated because of our location.

Here is a link to a suet feeder with a tail prop that may work if you do not want to put a suet feeder on a tree.
http://shop.wbu.com/...=3548/567.0.1.1

Life list (non ABA)- 233

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-169
Yard list- 125

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler

#4 sailormom64

sailormom64

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Oh yes, mine are on shepherds hooks, I hadn't thought of that. I have squirrels who rob all the feeders, they dump out my nyjer feeder (would not have believed it unless I had seen them doing it one morning) I guess in the hopes I will put something more suitable in there ha. They rob my sunflower seed feeder, and I have not caught them eating at the suet cages, but have seen them on the shepherds hook looking like they were up to no good. I bought a squirrel baffle but it was el cheapo and did not last even a day. So I will make some adjustments and hopefully this winter I will get some! Thank you for your info! :)

EDIT: LOL shortly after I posted this response, I was sitting out on the patio and saw a woodpecker "flyby" as he came zooming in, started to stop at the feeder but he saw me, did a big loop and back to the front of the yard where he came from! There weren't any other birds at the feeder at that time, so it had to be me that kept him from stopping. He had some red on his head, and was black and white. So not sure if it was "hairy" or "downy" but I was glad to see one anyway!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users