#1 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

Northern and Central California birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

I would not personally count a bird on TV as a personal sighting, but my husband was quite happy to see an Anhinga sunning itself on the shoreline of one of the greens of the Player's Championship the other day. That's basically the only way he will probably see one.

What other birds has anyone seen surreptiously on TV that you may not get to see in person?

Lifelist: 240
Latest lifer: Wrentit
I support Ebird.com & the North American Bird Phenology Program!

#2 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

Ant-pittas!

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#3 sailormom64

sailormom64

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

I haven't seen any, but I sure can "hear" them in the background of tv shows, what comes to mind is when my husband was watching "The Masters" on tv.

#4 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

I know of several people who keep a "TV list". I don't keep one myself but my favorite TV bird is Northern Fulmar. If you watch Deadiest Catch you will see dozens of them in every episode.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#5 jblakelock

jblakelock

jblakelock

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationPleasant Hill, CA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

There were some Choughs featured on an episode of the British show "Doc Martin".
Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake - Wallace Stevens

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

I know of several people who keep a "TV list". I don't keep one myself but my favorite TV bird is Northern Fulmar. If you watch Deadiest Catch you will see dozens of them in every episode.

LOL! You gotta be kiddin about the tv list!
Creationist Birder

#7 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:36 AM

LOL! You gotta be kiddin about the tv list!

I don't personally know anyone who keeps a TV list but I have read about people who do.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#8 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

I don't personally know anyone who keeps a TV list but I have read about people who do.

That's a person that needs to get out more! Although, my mom gets about 200 channels on her tv. I'll bet I could get a decent list going after spending an evening there..........
Creationist Birder

#9 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Of course, so many TV birds are species that are so out of range, you'd have a TV rarities list pretty quickly! The other night on Bones, there were a bunch of vultures picking at a body. Of course, they were some kind of European or African vultures - nothing you'd see in the US.

#10 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

Northern and Central California birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Of course, so many TV birds are species that are so out of range, you'd have a TV rarities list pretty quickly! The other night on Bones, there were a bunch of vultures picking at a body. Of course, they were some kind of European or African vultures - nothing you'd see in the US.

That show is terrible for their use of any animal or insect. Nothing is right. I saw an episode where they were very expertly describing the scavaging of vultures while showing crows, and one episode declaring that anytime you see a group of crows, they will surely be feasting on some corpse. Oh, if birding was that grisly, we'd have some serious problems! Oh, and the example of this that they showed was 3 crows. They just like saying the phrase "murder of crows" for dramatic effect.

Lifelist: 240
Latest lifer: Wrentit
I support Ebird.com & the North American Bird Phenology Program!

#11 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Wow, the fields and woods behind my house must be full of dead bodies if that's a sure sign of them!

#12 muliphein

muliphein

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

Its when I start paying more attention to the birds than the T.V. show's plot that I realize I should just go outside. Went to see Snow White and The Huntsman with a cousin and was a little surprised they went with European Magpies as her 'guide birds' rather than the usual robins and sparrows. Granted, they were computer animated, so not sure they count for T.V. birding.

#13 dancingbear860

dancingbear860

dancingbear860

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

I cant help but say, "tv list" thats nuts!! Get off the darn couch and shut off the tv.

#14 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

You know you're addicted when you pay less attention to the bikini clad woman and more attention to the birds feeding on the shoreline behind her.

Life List - 250

Clay Colored Sparrow

#15 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

I cant help but say, "tv list" thats nuts!! Get off the darn couch and shut off the tv.

I don't know - no different than sitting in front of the computer, posting on a birding forum.

#16 yep

yep

Sitting Duck

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Zing!
My amateur bird blog: EarlyMorningNonsense

#17 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

barnicle geese, mute swan, and sungrebe

Yard list 142
Bird lifers 374
Birds in Peru 91
Birds in the U.S. 300
Latest- Eastern Whip-poor-will, Golden-winged Warbler, Chuck-will's-widow, Purple Gallinule, Bachman's Sparrow
Butterfly lifers- 78
Latest- Juniper Hairstreak, Appalachian Azure, European Skipper, Dun Skipper, Aphrodite Fritillary

Moth Lifers- 182

Latest- Southern Emerald, Showy Emerald, Virginia Creeper Sphinx, Walnut Sphinx
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 39
Latest- Blue Corporal, Blue-fronted Dancer, Swift Setwing, Autumn Meadowhawk, Blue-ringed Dancer, Slender Bluet
Year list- 252
Latest- Kentucky Warbler

#18 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

I haven't seen any, but I sure can "hear" them in the background of tv shows, what comes to mind is when my husband was watching "The Masters" on tv.

If "The Masters" is the Golf tournament, it's right in my backyard. The course is in Augusta, about 20 minutes from my house. :D
I'm pretty sure they add some of the bird noises, though. If they kept the real bird calls, you'd be hearing a ton of Carolina Wrens. ;)

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users