#1 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationWhite Mountains, New Hampshire

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hey all! I'm new to the forums but I have been using Whatbird for some time now. I absolutely love it!

So I have just moved to a farm in New Hampshire and just last night I noticed a new call coming from the forest. It was repetative and sounded like someones wind mill was a little off. It went on for hours. Thinking it was a man made noise I shut the window. Now I am sitting here this evening and there it is again! Only now I can tell it is some sort of bird. Atleast I think it is... Any ideas?

"The Angles have the Phone Box."

#2 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

I'd actually lean frog species on this one. Most of the owl or nightjar calls you would hear are more complex than your description and would be tough to mistake for anything but a bird call. Unfortunately, I'm not from the northeast so I don't know any of your frog species!

Life List: 687

Latest birds:  Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Piping Plover, Sooty Grouse

ABA 2014: 315 species
Virginia 2014: 236
Isle of Wight County 2014: 182 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#3 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

I figured it out! Northern Saw-whet owl!!!! I also thought frog since we have loads of those singing well into the night but I just searched owls in NH and listened to their calls until I found the right one. Luckily there were only about ten to go through. lol I wish I could get a look at him at some point.

#4 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

Can you record it? Even a little snippet might help. Congrats on the farm in NH - it's beautiful there!

#5 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

Figured it out! It is a Northern Saw-whet Owl. So cool! I also thought it was frogs and then I just did a search for Owls in New Hampshire. There were only ten so I just listened to each of their calls until I hit the right one. I hope at some point I can snap a pic of him.

I love living in New Hampshire. I have seen Bald Eagles, A broad Winged Hawk shows up every evening to hunt, and I swear I have a Common Sand Piper even though they are supposed to live elsewhere. lol

#6 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

Okay so there is a delay in these posts... I thought the first one didn't show up so I posted the last one. Oops!

#7 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

Check out solitary sandpiper. Congrats on the saw-whet - hope you see it!

#8 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Solitary Sandpiper has too many spots. Mine is a smooth sandy color and has all the manerisms described in the Peterson Field Guide and Whatbird. I'm going to try and get a picture of him soon. On my farm I have a swampy run off area with frogs and tad poles and salamanders. It's fresh water and this is where I have seen him about three times now.

#9 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

Common sandpiper doesn't occur in the US. There may be a couple sighted on rare occasions, but it is highly unlikely.

#10 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:04 AM

I know. Which is why I'm baffled. I will absolutley post a pic on here as soon as I can get one.

#11 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

I'm almost certain that you're seeing a Spotted Sandpiper. They're very closely related to Common Sandpipers, and look very similar.

#12 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,537 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm almost certain that you're seeing a Spotted Sandpiper. They're very closely related to Common Sandpipers, and look very similar.

I agree. In transition and nonbreeding plumage they can resemble Common Sandpipers.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#13 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Ok

#14 birdblues

birdblues

birdblues

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Figured it out! It is a Northern Saw-whet Owl. So cool! I also thought it was frogs and then I just did a search for Owls in New Hampshire. There were only ten so I just listened to each of their calls until I hit the right one. I hope at some point I can snap a pic of him.

I love living in New Hampshire. I have seen Bald Eagles, A broad Winged Hawk shows up every evening to hunt, and I swear I have a Common Sand Piper even though they are supposed to live elsewhere. lol

NH rocks!

#15 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

NH rocks!

I know! I'm so excited about the Owl! So excited!

#16 PoorMatty

PoorMatty

PoorMatty

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

You can sometimes find Saw-whets roosting during the day, and if you do, they allow very close approach and are very hesitant to flush. Sometimes they are in tangles of honeysuckle, etc. about head height and other times they are up against the trunks of tall trees about halfway up. They are tough to spot just cause they're so small and still and well-camouflaged, but when you do find them, they're easy to get good looks at.

#17 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

You can sometimes find Saw-whets roosting during the day, and if you do, they allow very close approach and are very hesitant to flush. Sometimes they are in tangles of honeysuckle, etc. about head height and other times they are up against the trunks of tall trees about halfway up. They are tough to spot just cause they're so small and still and well-camouflaged, but when you do find them, they're easy to get good looks at.

Thanks for that info! I am definitely planning a recon mission. The woods where their calls are coming from are pretty coniferous and super thick. I think my chances of spotting one are pretty slim but I'm still gonna try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users