#1 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

We've been trying different things for the Orioles. Since it worked last year, we are feeding them oranges. We have four Orioles, double our number of last year and they've been vigorous in their eating. I'm not complaining, we enjoy their cheery song and bright colors. We are rather far out in the country and I would hate to run out of oranges before getting to town again.

We've been hoping to draw the Orioles to the nectar in an Oriole feeder and I put some grape jelly in a small yogurt container and its hanging from a hook. The only takers of these are our little Hummies. I use the same sugar to water concentration for both oriole and hummingbirds. We are quite surprised they are eating the jelly. Is this safe for them? If it isn't, we'll just stick to feeding nectar and oranges, then eat the jelly ourselves.

Thanks.

Life list (non ABA)- 233

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-180
Yard list- 128

Latest: Carolina Wren

Pizza list-  2

Latest: House Sparrow   :huh:

#2 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

from what i have read from blogs and bird books and web pages the sugar necter is about 25 percent sugar and the grape jelly is about 23 percent sugar both higher than the content of most fruits or what the hummingbirds could get from blooms and flowers. the only negatives i have seen written about is that if you feed artificial sweetened jams and jellys they would get lower amounts of sugar than they need.. one blogger said what if they overdo on sugar and don't eat enough insects. then they would not get enough protein? some say that the orioles don't need as much sugar as the hummers and could get by with less sugar. but if they got dependent on sugar might not eat enough insects for their protein? but still no reports of birds dieing from lack of protein.that i could find. . sorry i transcribed some numbers and need to go back and reread the articles but i'll get it right next time

#3 cwj2323

cwj2323

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

I appreciate the info. We won't eat artificial sweeteners, so we don't need to worry about that.

I am assuming both the Orioles and Hummies are getting other food sources since they stop for a bite or sip and then leave.

Life list (non ABA)- 233

2014 year list-180
Yard list- 128

Pizza list-  2

#4 cwj2323

cwj2323

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

I sure wish our Orioles took to jelly. I could fill up a feeder and be good for a couple days. We have to take out oranges twice a day right now. We'll be going out of town in June and if the Orioles are still here, who's going to keep them fed?? If plans work out, we'll be gone two solid days. I can only hope they will still be here when we get back.

I tried putting jelly into a bowl that could have passed for an orange half, but the Orioles seemed downright frightened of it. Silly birds...

Life list (non ABA)- 233

2014 year list-180
Yard list- 128

Pizza list-  2

#5 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

i get a mix of orioles and tanagers and grosbeaks and wioodpeckers and even starlings that all eat jelly or jam. each bird is different in what they want or eat best. some like grape others strawberry and some orange marmalade or apricot. I feed more grape than anything else but thats because its the cheapest but a do get the others on sale or if we can our own. mine most often prefer jam over jelly but some don't care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users