#1 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

Saw one in the yard, put out a feeder. Didn't see a single one again for weeks, so eventually stopped putting the feeder out and waited until I saw them in our yard again. It got to a point when I was consistently seeing one in the yard every afternoon, which culminated in seeing one investigating our seed feeder, because the perches are red. So, put out the hummingbird feeder again yesterday. Hummingbird in our yard off and on all day, didn't touch the feeder once. Always flew past it to our azalea bushes to eat. . .something, because there aren't flowers on the bushes now. Then today: not a single hummer all day.

It's safe to say at this point that they just hate me and are out to get me, right?

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

This time of year, the hummers are nesting. I was seeing constant activity at my feeder all Winter and up until about mid March ( Anna's Hummingbirds reside year round here.) Now I maybe see one male a day, if that. The females are busy catching bugs for their young (probably the activity you witnessed at your Azaleas.) The males are feeding on flowers, which are in full bloom now. When the young fledge, you will have plenty of hummers around your feeder, so keep it up. They will come.
Creationist Birder

#3 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

It has only been females I've been seeing this whole season. Not a single male.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#4 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

It has only been females I've been seeing this whole season. Not a single male.

The females you're seeing are picking the bugs. They must be nesting right near you. The males must be off somewhere with the blooms. Again, wait a month. They will be battling over your feeder.
Creationist Birder

#5 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

All of a sudden, today I have a steady stream of hummers battling over the feeder. The young here must have fledged.
Creationist Birder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users