#1 Dilee3

Dilee3

Dilee3

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestminster, VT

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

I saw this in Vermont today. It was pecking on the guardrail.

Posted Image

#2 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yup, for sure!

#3 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker seconded!

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#4 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

Northern and Central California birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I saw a photo of some kind of woodpecker (I don't remember which) that was on a daily photo montage in an on-line newspaper (sfgate.com). The bird was on top of a traffic light and the caption said that it was drilling on the light for some time. There were about a dozen comments about how stupid the bird was for thinking it was a tree.

Not that I am accusing you of thinking the same, but to any new birder out there, woodpeckers will often drill into metal because they are looking for a mate and the sound of drilling into metal carries a thousand times farther and louder than drilling into wood. It basically sounds like machine gun fire, and is quite effective in luring mates to the area.

Lifelist: 240
Latest lifer: Wrentit
I support Ebird.com & the North American Bird Phenology Program!

#5 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

It basically sounds like machine gun fire, and is quite effective in luring mates to the area.

My favorite around here is hearing and watching Northern Flickers drumming on the vent pipes on our neighbors' roofs. It must be really frightening to be in those houses if you're not expecting that. So far, they haven't used our roof.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#6 Dilee3

Dilee3

Dilee3

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWestminster, VT

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

That is funny! I hadn't heard of that.

#7 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

I saw a photo of some kind of woodpecker (I don't remember which) that was on a daily photo montage in an on-line newspaper (sfgate.com). The bird was on top of a traffic light and the caption said that it was drilling on the light for some time. There were about a dozen comments about how stupid the bird was for thinking it was a tree.

Not that I am accusing you of thinking the same, but to any new birder out there, woodpeckers will often drill into metal because they are looking for a mate and the sound of drilling into metal carries a thousand times farther and louder than drilling into wood. It basically sounds like machine gun fire, and is quite effective in luring mates to the area.

True, but they aren't actually drilling into it when they drum, just making a lot of noise. I was woken up very early one morning while camping, from YB sapsuckers drumming on the metal roofs of the outhouses.

#8 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

I've had them peck on the metal vent pipes on the roof of our house. Believe me, they can make a lot of noise drumming on metal!!

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#9 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

Red-bellies at my house are fond of my chimney cover. . . it's soooo loud!!! "THUD, THUD, THUD, THUD. . ." :blink:

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users