#1 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:14 AM

I just "inherited" an iPhone. Can anyone recommend any good birding apps?

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#2 PONYRCR

PONYRCR

PONYRCR

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

iBird PRO,
Birds Eye
Resident Horse Racing nut

#3 guy_incognito

guy_incognito

guy_incognito

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'd also recommend the Audubon app in addition to the iBird app. iBird has more species, but the Audubon app is integrated with eBird, so it can be used to find and report birds while in the field. Not sure if BirdsEye has any different features that the Audubon app does not have, but seeing that Audubon is on sale for $2.99 and BirdsEye is $19.99, I'd definitely try out Audubon first.

Latest lifers: Blue-winged Warbler, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Chestnut-collared Longspur, McCown's Longspur, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Brown-capped Rosy-Finch, White-tailed Ptarmigan, Pine Grosbeak, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Smith's Longspur, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch

Trip reports: Colorado 6/2014, Costa Rica 3/2014, Texas 12/2013, Central CA 8/2013, Arizona 6/2013, Midwest 5/2013, Hawaii 2/2013, Florida 9-10/2012, Monterey 8/2012, Salton Sea 7/2012, SE AZ 6/2012, Chicago 5/2012, Arizona 3/12, Arizona 12/11, Chicago 9/2011, Monterey 8/11, Arizona 12/10

#4 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

I've downloaded iBird Pro and Peterson Birds of North America and will check out Audubon. Thanks for the info.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

#5 whiteraven

whiteraven

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Locationnorthern california

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Both Audubon and ibird are good apps. I have both. I also own way too many bird books. The phone apps help for quick ID. I use my camera to record the birds I see and then later check them out in my treeware bird guides. I bought the bird jam warbler app but do not find it very useful. Not enough pictures and not so easy to use. Audubon also has a line of other field guide apps that cover lizards to mushrooms. Some are useful and some are not. You can also download other web sites to your safari browser on iPhone and access them. The owl pages is a fund site. Just surf the web and catch whatever works for you. I can access the Jepson Manual for Calif plants on my iPhone thru the web which is really useful for botany. The iPhone has plenty of room for apps and web sites if you put them into files. Have someone show you how if you have not figured that feature out yet. You can also put the web sites in the files with your apps. And of course you can keep track of your birds on the notes app. Oh my gosh I have turned into an inerd.

#6 spookyjimjams

spookyjimjams

Northern and Central California birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationTracy, California

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

BirdLog has been released. Use it to track your sightings and upload them it ebird.org.

Lifelist: 240
Latest lifer: Wrentit
I support Ebird.com & the North American Bird Phenology Program!

#7 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thanks, for the info Spooky. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, I don't have internet on the phone at the moment and I also can't spend any money that is not absolutely neccessary. Basically, for the time being, I can buy food and gas. But I will check out BirdLog for the future. I did DL Bird Alert Pro (which was free) but have not been able to use it yet.

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users