• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dowlf

dowlf

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

This evening there has been a bird perched on my back porch for several hours. It doesn't fly away even when approached at a close distance.

I am in Topeka, KS and today is May 31, 2012.

I am kind of worried about the bird since it doesn't fly away, it could be an easy target to one of the neighborhood cats.

I have a feeling he flew a long way today and is just really tired, but that is just a guess.

Thanks for any help identifying the bird.

Attached Files

#2 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

Welcome to Whatbird. That's a juvenile American Robin. I'm sure it'll be fine on its own.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#3 mtdavid

mtdavid

mtdavid

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

Well, juvenile Robins do have fairly high mortality rates, and the adults will nest multiple times each year to make up for it. Of course, adults often allow close approach as well, I think they're just not very shy birds.

Life List: 470
Most recent 5: Roseate Tern, Red-necked Stint, Arctic Tern, Red-necked Phalarope, Sandwich Tern.

#4 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

Good points Liam & mtdavid. However, my own experience is that 'wild' juvenile Robins (as opposed to ones I dealt with in rehab) could get pretty upset and feisty upon TOO CLOSE of an approach, despite their relative lack of shyness.

TO dowlf: If the bird is still around tomorrow and you don't see parents coming and feeding it, see if you can approach close enough to capture it. If the bird easily gets away, let it be, it's fine. If the bird allows you to capture it by hand, I'd recommend taking it to a bird rehab, and they will release it after the bird is strong enough to fly on its own.
"I'm not a Colonel"

#5 dowlf

dowlf

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the information, the bird is still in the same spot, so I will give ColoTomo's advice a try.

#6 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Please let us know how it turns out
"I'm not a Colonel"

#7 Totah Sam

Totah Sam

Nat'aanii Nez

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationNW New Mexico

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Look like you scared the cr..... wow... nice Robin. :P
TotahSam
Lifelist: 35

Latest lifers: Bewick's Wren (7/4/12) Ash-throated Flycatcher (7/5/12) Yellow-breasted Chat (7-13-12) American Goldfinch (7/15/12) Golden Eagle (7/22/12)

#8 dowlf

dowlf

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:39 AM

Later that day the bird was still there. I was watching it from the window for a few minutes, when one of its parents showed up and gave it some food. Then they both flew off. Haven't seen a robin since in my back yard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users