5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill1969

Bill1969

Bill1969

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

I took this shot in Palo Alto Bayland Preserve, CA in November 2009, initially i thought it is Thayer, just want to get a second opinion.

http://bilalphotos.c...ayer’s Gull.jpg

Thanks

#2 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

Thayer's should have rounded head and petite bill. With this long, flat head and decent sized all black bill I'm looking at Glaucous-winged (juvenile) or even Glaucous-winged x Western. Also look at how dark the primaries are, which has me leaning to the latter right at the moment . I really need to buy a serious gull book. If only my knowledge of gulls matched my love of gulls............

My advice: Wait for Grandpa (Since Aberrant seems to have taken an extended leave of absence)
"I'm not a Colonel"

#3 Bill1969

Bill1969

Bill1969

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

Thanks

#4 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

I agree not a Thayers. Head structure and bill are wrong.

I forgot my Sibley's back home, but I can see that being a Glauc-winged.

#5 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

Back to the top--- paging Grandpa577
"I'm not a Colonel"

#6 Grandpa577

Grandpa577

Grandpa577

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationNassau, Long Island, NY

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Back to the top--- paging Grandpa577

I agree that the general appearance of this bird is not consistent with Thayer's for the reasons you gave - head should be rounder and the bill smaller. The pattern on the coverts doesn't seem consistent with Thayer's either.

Presumably, in November, a first year bird that was born in the previous July would not look this bleached and feather-worn so I think this is a first summer/second winter bird. (The edges of the primaries look crisp and new, so it could have just molted wing and tail feathers during the summer.) It certainly appears to have Glaucous-winged parentage. The bill does look a little larger than the examples of Glaucous-winged that I have seen but I am out of my depth with trying determine if it is a hybrid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users