6 replies to this topic

#1 Marvey

Marvey

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

The black dots throw me off and also the buff or pale yellow throat. I've searched and searched for a picture of a bird that looks similar but, can't find ANYthing! If it's a sparrow, which one? I took this picture yesterday, 6/2/12, in East Tennessee (close to the Smoky Mtns) eating from my deck rail. Thanks!

Attached File  Wren_Male&FemaleCardinal&Moon 081.JPG   70.69K   73 downloadsAttached File  Wren_Male&FemaleCardinal&Moon 082.JPG   86.02K   92 downloadsAttached File  Wren_Male&FemaleCardinal&Moon 059.JPG   90.77K   65 downloads

#2 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20748 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Welcome to Whatbird. Not a sparrow, but a blackbird, a Brown-headed Cowbird to be exact.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#3 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Yup, young Brown-headed Cowbird. Welcome to Whatbird, and nice photos!

#4 Marvey

Marvey

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

wow, really?? I've got pictures of a brown headed cowbird... black with a brown head and a female, I think, but, she doesn't look like this bird... she's all brown but a light brown, no real markings. Maybe she's not what I think she is. Maybe she's not even a she :-/ I'll be posting more pics b/c I have no clue what some of these birds are. Thanks for answering, thanks for the welcome, and for the compliments. I love this site!!

#5 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7469 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

It may be a juvenile male molting into its adult plumage.

#6 Limpkin

Limpkin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

wow, really?? I've got pictures of a brown headed cowbird... black with a brown head and a female, I think, but, she doesn't look like this bird... she's all brown but a light brown, no real markings. Maybe she's not what I think she is. Maybe she's not even a she :-/ I'll be posting more pics b/c I have no clue what some of these birds are. Thanks for answering, thanks for the welcome, and for the compliments. I love this site!!

In some species the females and juveniles look pretty similar, but in many others the juveniles can be pretty distinctive - they're often quite streaky/spotty compared to the adults. The same is true for Brown-headed Cowbirds, so it's quite possible that your identification of the adults is correct!

#7 Marvey

Marvey

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

Thank you everyone! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users