#1 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hey guys - checking in again from my summer job in Wisconsin. I was able to go out birding today for the first time in weeks! Here are three lifers for which I need confirmation. I also heard Mourning Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Pine Warbler and American Redstart - all would have be lifers if I had seen them, but I wasn't able to get a look through the binocs or get a photo unfortunately. Another day I guess!

#1 (lifer) - This bird surprised me because I was not expecting to see it at all. Guess I was focused too much on learning the Warblers!
Posted Image

#2 (lifer) - I think these fellas are beautiful.
Posted Image

#3 (lifer) - Finally got a shot of one.
Posted Image

And to top off the wonderful day, I saw this beautiful pair of Black-backed Woodpeckers at the same bog in which I found bird #1.
Posted Image

Click the spoiler tags below to see what I think after you've formed your opinions.
Spoiler

#2 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

• Lincoln's Sparrow
  • Chestnut-sided Warbler
  • Broad-winged Hawk
  • And of course Black-backed Woodpecker

#3 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,582 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

I agree. Congrats!!

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#4 hbvol

hbvol

hbvol

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

Nice photos!!

#5 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Ok, I need all four of those on my list! Only one likely here is the Lincoln's Sparrow. We get the occasional migrating Broad-winged Hawk, usually just a quick fly over.
Creationist Birder

#6 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

Thank you for the confirmations Liam and psweet, and for the compliment hbvol! I wish I had a 400mm lens, but I'm really enjoying becoming a better birder since I have to get closer to the birds than I would with a longer lens.

Creeker - I know the feeling! I'm happy I got the opportunity to work here for a summer, otherwise I'd be moving back to the west coast without ever having a spring/summer/early fall of birding in the East.

#7 Totah Sam

Totah Sam

Nat'aanii Nez

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNW New Mexico

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thank you for the confirmations Liam and psweet, and for the compliment hbvol! I wish I had a 400mm lens, but I'm really enjoying becoming a better birder since I have to get closer to the birds than I would with a longer lens.

Creeker - I know the feeling! I'm happy I got the opportunity to work here for a summer, otherwise I'd be moving back to the west coast without ever having a spring/summer/early fall of birding on the east coast.

Beautiful captures. What type of lens are you using?
TotahSam
Lifelist: 35

Latest lifers: Bewick's Wren (7/4/12) Ash-throated Flycatcher (7/5/12) Yellow-breasted Chat (7-13-12) American Goldfinch (7/15/12) Golden Eagle (7/22/12)

#8 Platypus

Platypus

ThePurplePlatypus

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Beautiful captures. What type of lens are you using?

Thank you very much! I use a Sigma 70-300mm. I wouldn't recommend it if you can afford anything better though (even for the same focal length)! Liam wrote a good blog post about the lens that you can find here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users