7 replies to this topic

#1 kcharmatz

kcharmatz

kcharmatz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

I'm in Westminster, MD (suburb of Baltimore) and there are a group of approx 7-10 birds flying around low to the ground. These birds look like a type of swallow. The backs are an iridescencent blue and the breast/belly are white. The wings are black. There are no stripes and or other markings that I can see. They flew too fast for me to take a picture. They kept flying by low to the ground while my brother mowed his lawn. I'm up here from Atlanta & have my bird book w/ me but I can't figure out what these birds are.

#2 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20751 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Did you note the tail shape? It could be Barn Swallows or Tree Swallows (Barn being more likely this time of year). Barn Swallows have deeply forked tails.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#3 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7471 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Swallows love to follow mowers, catching the bugs they stir up! As Liam said, they could be barn or tree. Tree swallows have a very clear, bright white breast. Barn swallows have a salmon-colored breast, but they can appear whitish as they zip by. Barn sounds more likely to me, also. I'm a county east of you, in a rural area, and barn swallows are the most common ones that follow mowers, by far.

#4 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14036 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Why would you consider Barn Swallow to be more likely, Liam? Tree Swallows nest as far south as Maryland.

#5 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20751 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Why would you consider Barn Swallow to be more likely, Liam? Tree Swallows nest as far south as Maryland.

Oops, I misread, and thought the OP observed the bird in Atlanta.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#6 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14036 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Oh, allright. Thanks.

#7 MATT K

MATT K

MATT K

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I saw a tree swallow in southwest MS this past Saturday, on an 800 ac lake with tons of standing timber. The OP's description of " The backs are an iridescencent blue and the breast/belly are white" sounds perfect for tree swallow to me.
Life list- 357
Latest life birds- Grey-cheeked thursh, Swainson's thrush, Blackburnian warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Blue-winged warbler, worm-eating warbler

#8 kcharmatz

kcharmatz

kcharmatz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone. I thought they were a type of swallow but I wasn't convinced by reading the d.escription in the guide I brought with me (the Stokes field guide to birds, Eastern region)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users