wbmrs

wbmrs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLos Altos, California - USA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hello all,
This is only my 3rd post to this forum (I haven't had much time to be a part of this recently). I hope
that this post (along with my first two) does not put me into some kind of 'disbelief' category. My first two
posts involved what I thought was an oriole, in one instance, and a kind of kestrel in another. A few people here were very kind to respond with possible ideas as to what I may have seen in both cases.

Now, for this one: I have heard a **very** distinctive call - deep at night - that I have ID'ed as a Boreal Owl
call. If there is another owl that has a call similar to the Boreal Owl, and has a native habitat in the bay area of California I will be relieved. But, from all I can gather from various searches, and testimonials, a Boreal Owl
should *not* really be living in our area - in general.

I do not have proper equipment to easily create a photo of this bird (if I was lucky to actually see it at night),
but the call is absolutely unmistakeable.

So - is it possible that this could be a Boreal Owl - here, in Los Altos CA?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 guy_incognito

guy_incognito

guy_incognito

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4542 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Very unlikely to be a Boreal Owl. There are no Boreal Owl sightings reported in eBird for anywhere in CA. They don't sound exactly alike, but perhaps listen to Northern Saw-whet Owl, Northern Pygmy-Owl, or Western Screech-Owl.

It might be helpful to also try and record the bird. I personally find that my recollection of calls is a lot less accurate than I would like...

Latest lifers: Black Scoter, Sinaloa Wren, Nutting's Flycatcher, Virginia's Warbler, Black-headed Gull, Red-throated Pipit, 23 in Texas!

Trip reports: Costa Rica 3/2014, Texas 12/2013, Central CA 8/2013, Arizona 6/2013, Midwest 5/2013, Hawaii 2/2013, Florida 9-10/2012, Monterey 8/2012, Salton Sea 7/2012, SE AZ 6/2012, Chicago 5/2012, Arizona 3/12, Arizona 12/11, Chicago 9/2011, Monterey 8/11, Arizona 12/10

#3 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Try Western Screech-Owl, of the owls in your area their call is closest to Boreal Owl.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

#4 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14005 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

Check out the call of Wilson's Snipe -- that's what Boreal's in Minnesota are often confused with.

#5 sdearth

sdearth

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHoschton, Georgia

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

we need a pic of the owl

Life list = 279 as of 2/25/2014 Greater White-fronted Goose & Canvasback are the latest

2014 bird count = 101 as of 2/25/2014 Greater White-fronted Goose & Canvasback are the latest

Gwinnett County 2014 bird count = 78 as of 2/18/2014 Northern Pintail is the latest

2013 bird count was 204 for the year

photo list= 178 as of 2/3/2014 Greater White-fronted Goose is the latest

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9156 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

we need a pic of the owl

Like op said, very hard to get a pic of any bird at night. I agree most likely Western Screech Owl. I kept a rehab bird that could not live in the wild due to an eye injury. He made an amazing variety of sounds, some of which I haven't seen documented.
Creationist Birder

#7 wbmrs

wbmrs

wbmrs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLos Altos, California - USA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

Thank you all for your kind assistance and suggestions - ! Yes, I hadn't gone through *all* of the owls
in the search result for 'owl'. Indeed, the Western Screech Owl must be it. It is very close in its rhythm
and pace to the Boreal - but, the call my wife and I are hearing in the early a.m. hours sounds even more
similar to the Western Screech recording here - and, of course - one would expect to find it in our area.
This make me feel so much better - I'm one-for-three now, with the help from members here - thanks, again.

Mike

p.s. I do hope to invest in some minimal tools to be able to finally record (visual and sound) for all upcoming
sightings.I already have a "Bloggie" video camera which may do OK during the daytime. I'll have to be
clever to figure something out for "midnight" recordings.

#8 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

If the camera works for day recording just use it at night as well. You would not be the first person to post a dark video for call ID purposes.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users