• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 exitrealworld

exitrealworld

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm currently caring for a very young pine siskin , but I'm not entirely sure what I should be feeding her? I have a syringe to feed her with but need some ideas for healthy foods that will get her strong and healthy. Thanks!

#2 ColoTomo

ColoTomo

ColoTomo

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

The answer is:

You shouldn't be feeding a pine siskin. Please do the right thing and take this bird to a rehabber who can do this legally. I'm not saying this to be mean or rude, but because I actually do care about your outcome and the outcome of the bird.

Birds like this one are protected by the Migratory Treaty Act for good reason. Native birds are not meant to be kept as pets, and since you gave yours a name, it sounds like you are looking for a pet. Can I recommend a budgie? (not my idea, but I've had several over the years).

The first sign that you shouldn't be taking this bird in - you're on an internet forum asking what to feed it.
Secondly, and the more important sign -- you're breaking federal law.
Third, the fact that you've put your date of birth in your profile, linked to your facebook page (which contains your name), and you've posted photos of yourself breaking federal law for everyone with an internet connection to see---- well that also tells me you don't really know what you're doing.

If you volunteer at a rehab facility, you'll be working with birds like this under the legal license of the rehabber(s) running the facility. Very few things in life are as cute as hand-feeding baby Robins, baby Blue Jays and baby Flickers. Why not give it a go?

The facility that I volunteered at also gave me the opportunity to release birds in appropriate areas. However, the lady who ran the rehab facility made sure I had the proper paperwork with me. In her words: "Technically the police can take you to jail for having all these birds in your car, this paper has my authorization under my license which protects you. Make sure you don't lose it or let it fly out the window!"
"I'm not a Colonel"

#3 sailormom64

sailormom64

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

I agree with all of the above and also, the rehabber can make sure that it learns all the things it needs to learn in order to survive in the wild. If you take care of it, and then it is able to fly, and you turn it loose, it will not be well equipped to take care of itself on its own.
What I have learned so far.... just because you think that bird is just another _____ (house sparrow, chickadee, crow or whatever you are used to seeing) look a little closer... you just might be surprised!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users