SPiercePhotography

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

Hi All-

I'm new to the forums, but not new to whatbird.com! I've been using it a lot to ID many of the birds that i've been photographing lately.

This one in particular has alluded me, and i'm hoping one of you can help!

It looks like a young robin of some sort, but i can't find any photos anywhere that match.

Posted Image
Unknown Bird by SPierceUrbex, on Flickr

Found in Chicopee, Mass. I think it may be a flegling/youngin, but not sure. it had obviously been in a fight so might look a little off, as well. I'd just love to know what it is! I'd be happy to answer any additional questions the best I can.

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 5067 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:55 AM

Welcome to Whatbird, Nice shot

Bigfoot
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#3 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7507 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

It's a baby robin. Why has it obviously been in a fight? Looks perfectly normal to me.

#4 SPiercePhotography

SPiercePhotography

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

Ah, thank you both!

Barnswallow: here's another shot of it, from behind. it's tail looks pretty beat up- I photographed it for about an hour, and... it wasn't doing too well. I walked pretty much right up to it, less than a foot away, and it didn't even hop away. Just closed it's eyes and stayed there. I'm hoping that it's really alright, and i'm being overly paranoid.

Posted Image

#5 sdearth

sdearth

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHoschton, Georgia

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

waiting for his parents to bring him a worm. Keep us posted though about his outcome. Hope there is no cats around.

Life list = 279 as of 2/25/2014 Greater White-fronted Goose & Canvasback are the latest

2014 bird count = 101 as of 2/25/2014 Greater White-fronted Goose & Canvasback are the latest

Gwinnett County 2014 bird count = 78 as of 2/18/2014 Northern Pintail is the latest

2013 bird count was 204 for the year

photo list= 178 as of 2/3/2014 Greater White-fronted Goose is the latest

#6 SPiercePhotography

SPiercePhotography

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

If I see him again, i'll certainly do so :D He's at the state park across from my work; i regularily go over there to photograph robins and any other birds I can find. Whatbird.com has been a huge help in IDing everyone!

#7 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7507 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

It may have gotten roughed up by something, but they can look pretty rough when their adult feathers are coming in. Hope he's OK!

#8 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3064 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

The tail feathers look that way because this is a fledgeling and the feather sheaths have not all dropped off yet. Also, the reason it did not hop away is because of its age, it has not yet learned to fear humans.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Common Loon: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/21/14

Blue-winged Teal, Hooded Merganser, Bald Eagle, Semipalmated Plover, Vaux's Swift: San Joaquin River NWR, Modesto, CA, 4/20/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

#9 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1527 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

Also, the reason it did not hop away is because of its age, it has not yet learned to fear humans.

I have a couple of fledgling Am. Robins in my yard the last few days and one thing I've noticed is that they have no fear of us at all. You can truly walk right up to them.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 279. Latest: Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone, Snowy Plover

#10 Mickie

Mickie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSalem Oregon

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

Incredible shot, what equipment are you using.

#11 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9197 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:13 AM

Thank you, SPierce, for doing exactly what you are supposed to do when you see a fledgling on the ground. Leave it there! So many people think they are helping young birds like this by taking them in and trying to feed and care for them. I hope others will do like you, just let it be.
Creationist Birder

#12 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3064 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thank you, SPierce, for doing exactly what you are supposed to do when you see a fledgling on the ground. Leave it there! So many people think they are helping young birds like this by taking them in and trying to feed and care for them. I hope others will do like you, just let it be.

Here, here!

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Blue-winged Teal, Hooded Merganser, Bald Eagle, Semipalmated Plover, Vaux's Swift: San Joaquin River NWR, Modesto, CA, 4/20/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

#13 SPiercePhotography

SPiercePhotography

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Barnswallow and fisherman: thanks all for your input! heres hoping she/he grows up into a beautiful robin! i was fearing the worst yesterday when i left!

He was in a pretty out of the way spot- not many people walk there unless theres a huge gathering going on, so i'm pretty sure he'll be left alone. or i hope at least. I can't believe people would actually take them away! :o Especially when there are SO many pairs of robins around to take it in if it needs it. Granted, I left it in peace because I thought it was sick (as it looked at me most of the time through closed eyes, it was sort of cute!) but even I wouldn't take a bird away unless I was a professional.

re: equipment, i've got a d80 and put my 500mm on so i could get in nice and close :D

#14 Clip

Clip

Still Just a Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts
  • LocationCentennial, CO

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

I had a little guy last year in my backyard that couldn't fly at all. He intial couldn't hop very well either. But dad came around several times a day and fed him and after a couple of days he could hop better and then after about 9 days he flew away. You did the right thing by leaving it be. Dad was likely not far off. He may have fell out of the nest to soon or something and may have been injured. That is what we think happen to our little guy.

We have had young ones this year but they can all fly :)

#15 SPiercePhotography

SPiercePhotography

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hey, just as an update on this little guy, he appears to have passed away between when I saw him yesterday, and when I went back to the park during lunch today. Still in the grass, but stiff and on its back. RIP little bird!

#16 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9197 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well, that happens. The parents just need to reproduce themselves successfully once in their lifetime to perpetuate the species. Imagine how many robins we would have if they all lived!
Creationist Birder

#17 SPiercePhotography

SPiercePhotography

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Wow, that's a scary thought! I did see two other baby robins hanging around, though none were as cute as the ones I saw yesterday!

I ended up photographing a Northern Flicker during lunch instead :D

#18 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3064 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

That's nature's way. If I remember correctly, the mortality rate for juvenile songbirds is over 90%, probably around 95-96%. If they all survived we'd have to watch where we stepped everytime we went outside. I feel bad for the little guy but at least it went peacefully and was not attacked by somebody's cat.

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users