#1 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Right now I have lots of mammals visiting my feeder. Two are pests. Two are annoying. Two are cute, and don't eat much.

The pests are a lone deer. And a coon. The coon is an easy fix; bring the feeder in at night. But the deer is coming in broad daylight. Shes not afraid of humans. I've scared her once by chasing her. And another time I threw a stick at her and she just walked off. So is there any way to stop her?

The annoying ones are Squirrels and Mice. When I bring in my feeders at night I put them in the garage. Then the mice eat out of the. . .

The two nice ones are Rabbits and Chipmunks.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#2 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

I put my feeders on very high poles so the deer cant reach them, then i put a downward facing cone on the pole so the squirrels and coons cant get up to the feeder. the only problem then is the bears but they have only knocked over the feeders once.

Yard list 142
Bird lifers 374
Birds in Peru 91
Birds in the U.S. 300
Latest- Eastern Whip-poor-will, Golden-winged Warbler, Chuck-will's-widow, Purple Gallinule, Bachman's Sparrow
Butterfly lifers- 78
Latest- Juniper Hairstreak, Appalachian Azure, European Skipper, Dun Skipper, Aphrodite Fritillary

Moth Lifers- 182

Latest- Southern Emerald, Showy Emerald, Virginia Creeper Sphinx, Walnut Sphinx
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 39
Latest- Blue Corporal, Blue-fronted Dancer, Swift Setwing, Autumn Meadowhawk, Blue-ringed Dancer, Slender Bluet
Year list- 252
Latest- Kentucky Warbler

#3 Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

Hawk Henries

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationMaine Coast...

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

You might consider a diversion feeder for the deer. Find out what food it likes and make a feeding station away from the bird feeders. Yep a little more work and expense but you may find after awhile that you like having her around. She may return some year with fawns...
They really are beautiful :) Good luck!!

#4 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

here the local rose society reccomends a homemade pepper spray of either hot sause and water or ground hot peppers and water and spray the flowers. they claim the birds and butterflys and bees don't seem to be bothered by the spray but the deer and rabbitts and chipmonks don't like the hot stuff and it keeps them away

#5 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

I don't have anything to add to what the others have posted, I'm just chuckling to myself at the thought of you chasing her and tossing sticks! :D

The grackles and starlings are the ones eating me out of house and home this year. They've been awful. The seed in the feeders don't last more than a few hours and they polish off a suet cake in less than one day.

I'd rather be birding.

#6 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

I've scared her once by chasing her.

You want to be careful doing that. She could turn on you and I've heard those hooves can do some serious damage.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#7 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

those hooves can do some serious damage.

Yeah. . . I wont chase her anymore. . . or when I do have a tree close to me! :D

If I had an income, I would feed her stuff. But since my mom is the paying for all wild animal food, and she is already not happy how much the birds eat. . . I don't think I can feed her. I think she is partially blind, because she doesn't notice you until you are very close. Then she normally doesn't bother to leave. I guess I will have to stick with throwing sticks. . . :)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#8 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Well even after having the feeders down for a week while I was at summer camp she is still coming to the yard, and coming to the feeders. She hasn't come when I wasn't around. . . so all good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users