• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pinkroses97

pinkroses97

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I know the Gilded Flicker isn't native to our area, but, my daughter and I are certain there are a male and female who frequent the tree in our front yard and have crawled on my cylindrical bird feeder by my window (by the way they are pretty big and completely wrap their body around the feeder which is about a foot in length). We put out a suet feeder on the tree and they pecked at that a bit, but, then the crows came and we didn't see the Flickers again. We have seen them in the Fall mainly, but, this year we had a mild Winter and spotted them in early Winter, October-November. We just found out today that is what they were, the Gilded Flicker, and also how incredibly rare it seems they would be to our area, so we didn't realize how important a photo would be, but, we are sure to take one now. We are new to bird-watching so we are in a learning stage. At any rate, the reason for my post is to ask what would be a good way to feed them if they come back? We have a squirrel feeder on the tree they like so we were assuming they were picking out the sunflower seeds the squirrels were hiding. We just think these birds are so beautiful and we've named them and watch for them every year, we would love to find a good way to feed them. Thanks for your help.

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,606 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Gilded Flicker would be way out of range and is a desert bird, however, Northern Flicker (yellow shafted version) is almost an exact look alike and would not be uncommon in your area. Welcome to WhatBird Forums!
Creationist Birder

#3 pinkroses97

pinkroses97

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for your help, the Northern Flicker is just like the bird we see and native to our area. Would you happen to have any idea's on how to feed them? They are so beautiful and we love to see them and it seems such a struggle for them to surround our bird feeder with their large bodies and try to pull out the food with their long tongues, I'm afraid they will cause the feeder to fall. Any idea's would be appreciated. Once again, thanks for the help with identifying this bird, like I said my daughter and I are new to bird-watching and appreciate help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users