#1 alkemist

alkemist

alkemist

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

I have an established feeding area in my backyard but I was getting ravaged by black birds. After a few weeks, I finally gave in and had a tantrum. I pulled down all my tube feeders, emptied the bird bath and all the food trays except the window box and thistle feeder. After seeing all my house finches fly by and try to land on "invisible" feeders and cardinals and blue jays picking up scraps, I decided I needed to take some action. My husband did not like the idea of caged feeders so I had to go with the unfortunate built like a tank hopper feeder that is weight activated that were originally designed for squirrels. I purchased this perky pet squirrel be gone II feeder (link on bottom) from my local Lowes. It's very heavy and has a 12lb seed capacity, but I only put a few scoops in it to test and hung it up on my shepherd's hook. (Not really fond of that idea, I ordered a pole for it to be mounted).

Anyways.. long story short, all my birds are scared of this feeder. I know they are creatures of habit, but it mostly gets ignored. It gets a glance and only a very small amount of birds have tried it, including red-winged black birds and chipping sparrow. Unfortunately the brave little chipping sparrow doesn't come around often (I'm sure if the other birds saw him using it, they would all flock to it). Even to my knowledge, watching the feeder for the rest of the day, only 1 grackle even attempted to use it, whom was immediately shut out.

I would like to know if anyone could offer a word of advice or have used this first hand.I am growing fond of the looks of this feeder but I need to know if I should move on to another feeder and if this is wasting my time and the birds. This feeder has 3 plexiglass windows that seem to be reflective and a copper roof. I'm not sure if that is scaring them. I tried suet feeders with a copper top and the woodpeckers seemed like they were scared of it but eventually got used to it, don't know if that carries over to song birds. I am also hoping that the cardinals would use this too but they only seem to feed off the ground. They don't even use my small platform feeder that is about a foot off the ground. Also there are no drainage holes.. need to know if this will cause an issue when weather gets wet. I've scoured the web for reviews but it's just not enough to answer my questions.

http://www.birdfeede...ird-feeders/339

#2 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

I am also having a terrible time with Grackles and Starlings cleaning out my feeders and devouring the suet cakes. I've tried taking down the suet for a week at a time and all that accomplished was causing my Hairy Woodpeckers and Red-bellied Woodpecker to disappear. As soon the the suet was put back up, the grackles and starlings were back, polishing them off in less than one day.

I like the looks of the hopper feeder you have. How long has it been up? I wouldn't give up just yet. Around here, when the feeders are over run by grackles, nothing else shows up. Maybe the other song birds are fearful of the black birds that were taking over your area.

I'd rather be birding.

#3 alkemist

alkemist

alkemist

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

It's the third day now. I did see a chickadee and chipping sparrow check it out, though they seem to be rare visitors to my backyard. The house finches got excited when they saw the chipping sparrow on it again and tried. They don't seem to like the distance of the outer perch from the feeding ports, though there is a inner perch that they don't even try. Otherwise they have been avoiding it unless they see someone else using it. My song birds seem to hold their own against the black birds, I think there is just something about this feeder they don't like. This doesn't seem to allow them to pick through the feed as easy.

My variety of birds have dropped since the end of winter. I mainly get house finches, mourning doves, cardinals and blue jays (on and off) now. I used to get gold finches, house sparrows (even though they are pest like), chickadees, titmice and woodpeckers.

I got frustrated with my suet. I even got an upside down feeder and the starlings and grackles cling on it and feed off it as if they are mocking me. I tried a stokes caged suet feeder but they had an even easier time feeding from it! Their long necks allow them to greedily pluck away at the suet. I took all my feeders down for a week earlier in the month and I lost all my woodpeckers. Someone recommended using pure beef suet cake with no seed or fillers. The starlings do not like it, nor do the grackles. They attempt and see that there is nothing of their value, they leave it alone but now I have no woodpeckers to feed...

#4 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I bought one of those upside-down suet feeders, too. The starlings figured it out in no time flat. I've tried many suggestions that I've read about keeping the 'undesirables' away and none have worked. One good thing though, I did see a female Hairy Woodpecker at the peanut feeder today. First time I've seen a Hairy in several weeks. It also appears that the number of grackles has gone down. If I remember correctly, last year they seemed to all but disappear in late June and my Woodpeckers and more song birds returned eventually. Yours will, too.

I guess I've just resigned myself to the fact that if I'm going to feed the birds...then I'll have to put up with the flying pigs, too. :)

I'd rather be birding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users